• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GoodWear RoughWear 27752 as a Cycling Jacket..

PADDY_M

Well I've just joined a UK group called the VCC (Veteran Cycling Club) and they have rides every month. For 1950's and earlier cycles (right back to the 1800's), generally. One of the members even has a Penny Farthing (repro) which you would need a head for heights for!! (massive wheel at front, smaller one at rear! often ridden with a Top Hat!!! - Crikey!!).
But the rides average around the 25 mile mark, which for many, without gears, and plenty of hills, is a fair day's jaunt!

As I said on the "On Yer Bike" thread over on TFL Outdoors, I'm now looking at getting a 1939 'Saxon' lightweight bicycle later in the week (needs some restoration and TLC I understand...). Should be a beaut with the low slung handlebars, though 'lightweight' in 1930's terms, is still heavy by today's alloy and carbon fibre terms!!

wop54

Paddy, I like your photos' 30-40s look very much and took the liberty to "vintage" one of them (with a simple application of my mobile). Hope you like the "new" vintage look...! :)
1857a330.jpg

PADDY_M

Thanks Carlo - makes even "me" look pretty good :) I'm out on the bike as I type this!! I have dismounted!! :)

iPhone Comms

The heck with the jacket....tell us about the brakeset on that bike. Is that rod-actuated or cable-actuated? Can't quite tell in the pic. Sturmey-Archer 3-speed rear hub? You'd probably be a little suprised to know where people ride those kinds of bikes..or how fast they can go on them.

jonnyboy

Great photos Paddy, and the jacket looks like an original.

I'd watch out though, it looks like the dog is eyeing up that back wheel as a suitable place to take a leak!

Cheers,

Jon

PADDY_M said:
Well I've just joined a UK group called the VCC (Veteran Cycling Club) and they have rides every month. For 1950's and earlier cycles (right back to the 1800's), generally. One of the members even has a Penny Farthing (repro) which you would need a head for heights for!! (massive wheel at front, smaller one at rear! often ridden with a Top Hat!!! - Crikey!!).
But the rides average around the 25 mile mark, which for many, without gears, and plenty of hills, is a fair day's jaunt!

As I said on the "On Yer Bike" thread over on TFL Outdoors, I'm now looking at getting a 1939 'Saxon' lightweight bicycle later in the week (needs some restoration and TLC I understand...). Should be a beaut with the low slung handlebars, though 'lightweight' in 1930's terms, is still heavy by today's alloy and carbon fibre terms!!

As you get more in to this bike thing..check out the great pre-war French builders. Rene' Herse' was building 20lb steel bikes in the 1930's. He and others like Alex Singer or Jo Routens made almost all of their parts in-house; stems, handlebars, lighting systems, even screws and fasteners.

The Brit bikes like yours were heavy be design, for the most part. The Brits could also make a pretty dang light road bike.

A

Anonymous

I am now the owner of the jacket pictured in this thread which is the same as the jacket in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11704

I have never worn the jacket, not even tried it on. It is going to be for sale very soon. If you have an interest please let me know.