• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodwear Dubow 46 in goat arrived!

better duck

Hi gentlemen, here it finally is: my GW Dubow size 46 in goat with the purplish knits and the NOS Crown (I "went Cadillac" on this one, according to John)
First a couple of pics of how it arrived in the post rather tiny parcel, compared to ELCs big boxes, but just as effective, apparantly:
GWDubowpakje.jpg

GWDubowpakje2.jpg

GWDubowpakje3.jpg

Then some pics with me in it, dressed up for the occasion, photos courtesy of my 9 year old:

GWDubowmetventstaand2.jpg

GWDubowmetventstaand1.jpg

GWDubowmetventzittend1zw.jpg

The sunglasses, by the way, are British wartime issue I bought a couple of years ago.
Detail of the NOS Crown zipper:
GWDubowcloseupNOSCrown2.jpg

Detail of the signature on the lining, done on my request by John:
GWDubowcloseupsignatureJChapman.jpg

The last time I asked John for an update on an ETA was last Friday, December 5th. It was the same day that my parcel arrived in the post. Very fitting, as this text, taken from that update-request, illustrates:

"Any chance of that tracking number?
I just like to follow the progress of the surprise package that is on its
way for me. The 5th of december is a traditional festivity in Holland, where
"Sinterklaas" (not to be confused with Santa Claus, who is a different kind
of welldoer altogether) arrives in the country (arriving by boat and coming
from Spain, where he supposedly lives all other 364 days of the year) and,
to celebrate his birthday, gives presents to kids who have behaved good
lately. Presents are tradionally not just given, but are accompanied by
rhymes, making mild fun of the recipient of the gift.
As far as I know I have behaved in the past year, so I am anxiously awaiting
my (admittedly self administered) "Sinterklaascadeau" (= Sinterklaas
present)"

Here is a photo of the guy, clearly modelled on a Roman Catholic bishop (which he actually was, loooong time ago):
Sinterklaas.jpg

And here is the link to the article in the English version of Wikipedia about him, for those of you reeeaalllyyy interested in this figure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

After I received the parcel, I sent the following message to John, all in rhyme, and thus in "Sinterklaas style":

After having spent many a month in a waiting - and waiting - and waiting -
slumber,
Yesterday I finally received a tracking number!
My Goodwear Dubow was finally on its way across the sea
All the way from the USA to me!!
The time of waiting was finally over - well almost:
I still had to receive my jacket in the post!

Today my jacket was delivered by the postman
And - bloody hell - I wasn't even home man!
So my neighbour came to the rescue
and took the parcel in; my dear woman, bless you!

I carefully cut open the tiny parcel with a knife
and out came a time capsuled Dubow, without any strife.
The colour a lovely russet, beautifully made in goat
That jacket really made me gloat!
Feasting my eyes on stitchwork, hardware, details, done so well,
It really looks ever so professional!

I threw off my sweater in the cold morning air
to try on my jacket right then and there.
I slipped on my size 46 A2
And it just fit me, without any ado.
I zipped up the NOS Crown,
and it travelled effortlessly up and then again down.
The jacket hugs my body - it surely has "The Fit":
It fits comfortably, even when I sit.

No matter how many the months I spent waiting,
there was no use in remonstrating:
John is ever busy making jackets and - oh yeh - even wooing a girl
so busy, his life sometimes seems like a swirl.
Customers call and mail him, many times a day,
asking for his attention in each and every way.

To you I doff my hat man
to you, my dear John Chapman!

A

Anonymous

Peter, it's a lovely jacket. Suits you sir !! Great photos too. I hope it is a keeper butif it isn't, call me !!

Dave

Roughwear

What a beautifil Dubow, Peter! The Crown zipper is so appropriate for this contract and the purple knits look very authentic. Wear it in good health.

Swing

better duck said:

Looks outstanding! That combination (Dubow, Goat, purple knit) has been some of John's best looking jackets.

Looks like that officer's shirt needs to be tailored though, and narrowed through the waist.

~Swing

dujardin

hello Peter,

simply perfect, simply perfect...
and poem is also really good and well appropriate.
tell to your son that photos are greattttttt

though i was a good boy all this year but St Nicolas bring nothing to me :lol:

byeeeeeeee marcel

CBI

B. Duck: Congrats, outstanding. Looks wonderful and I am happy to say that I happen to have one just like it, been wearing it all day today. You are an Eastman guy as I recall, so what do you think of the GW? I like the uniform as well, when do you ever have a chance to wear it all besides an airshow?

RudyN

That is a great looking jacket! I know you will enjoy it. Mine will be here eventaully and I know it will be as nice as yours.

better duck

CBI said:
You are an Eastman guy as I recall, so what do you think of the GW? I like the uniform as well, when do you ever have a chance to wear it all besides an airshow?

About ELC vs GW: Ever since Jeffs "Red Rooster" posts I've been spoiled. Hadn't I read those, I would have put ELC and GW on the same level, me never having seen up close an original, let alone studied one. Now that I have read Jeffs posts (and of other illuminati of the VLJ world) I see tiny differences, that make the GW just a little more convincing. One example: I have an ELC Werber, that I consider a great repro, and that has absolutely perfect HH, that ages extremely beautifully. But now I put the GW and ELC next to one another and I notice something that has been pointed out before: the ELCs pockets have a rather large distance from the zipper or the windflap, certainly compared to the GW Dubow right next to it. Too large according to Rote and others, and now I notice. Now, mind you, I'm in no position to prove that the pocket spacing of the ELC is off the mark compared to vintage Werbers. But this and other details seem absolutely just right with GW's Dubow. Spot on would be the verdict, I guess.

About the uniform: to tell you the truth, this photo-session last Sunday morning with my 9 yr old daugther wielding the Canon Ixus 70 was the first time ever I wore this stuff as a whole! I would be seriously shy wearing this to even the Flying Legends at Duxford, where there are reenactors galore.

better duck

Cobblers161 said:
You must be chuffed.
Indeed I am, especially with all the reactions of all you guys from all over the globe. Very gratifying and still instilling an sence of wonder about the ease of communication in the global village. Thanks guys!

That is a beauty. I have the Dubow in seal horse and was thinking of getting another in goat. If and when I do, your pics convinced me.

fedoralover

CBI

Glad to hear you DON'T wear the complete outfit very often!!!!! I hope to post photos of my GW's in a week. Things slowing down a little.

Andrew

Ahh, looks great Peter, very familiar looking cut, but i'm still happy I have the HH despite the sensational look of your goat. Great idea to ask JC to sign it, I was thinking that I should have asked the same- I wonder what no. Dubow mine is...

I have the same issues as you when I try on my others- the RM dubow and my pre-prod GW USL and even my original Perry- the fit and form of John's Dub just fits like a familiar second skin and so the others don't get any wear now.

Congratulations.