• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear's new B-6

handworn

John has straightened out his supplier difficulties and is moving forward on the B-6 project. He sent me his size-46-labeled prototype for fitting. It's just about perfect for my frame. (By the way, does anyone know whether during the war they would go for a larger-than-fit size of jacket to be able to layer it underneath?)

I don't know whether this is labeled 46 as a period size, which would be a modern 44, but probably so-- that's what he did on the '39 Werber I got from him.

Anyway, photos:

DSC_0241a_zps4f37bdc4.jpg

DSC_0242a_zps41ce6254.jpg

DSC_0238_zps9ee7c11c.jpg

DSC_02382_zpsd9b7fcc4.jpg

DSC_0237_zpsb900c6ce.jpg

Marv

Looks great but even though the B6 is a good looking jacket, I much prefer the simplicity of the D1

dmar836

Not sure they chose a size more than any other jacket or piece of gear but that sure looks a perfect fit for you!

unclegrumpy

handworn said:
By the way, does anyone know whether during the war they would go for a larger-than-fit size of jacket to be able to layer it underneath?
Over the years, I have not really tracked the sizing of B-6s.

That said, your question can be hard to answer. What makes it hard is that with some articles of clothing, the sizing number takes into account what the soldier or airman was expected to wear underneath. Winter Parkas for example, tend to be oversized to account for all the extra clothing compared to say, a L2B jacket that might be worn with very little underneath.

The B-6 was a medium weight jacket. But, it was still meant to be worn over a uniform or sweater. I would expect some layering to have been factored into the sizing, but an individuals personal fit preference comes in to play as well. However to cut down on the overall bulk, I would say as with most heavier weight flight gear, it was probably worn most often with a generally snugger fit rather than loser.

IMO, what the the sizing number meant then does not matter much now. If you are getting a jacket to wear, get something that suits you, and accounts what you plan to wear underneath it....just like this GW appears to nicely do.

handworn

Thanks! As I mentioned, this is just the prototype, sent for sizing, so I'll be sending it back to John. He has several different shearling sources now, and sent samples, so I'll have to decide which I'd like mine made from.

I'm not a frequent buyer of jackets-- though I've owned a Real McCoy's B-6 and an Irwin that both turned out to be too small, my whole collection consists of my '39 Werber, also made by John (and signed by three Doolittle Raiders, including Mr. Griffin who sadly passed away a couple months ago) but a B-6 for winter has long been on my wish list.

PaulGT3

Congrats!! Looks like the test GW I got from John, I love it. THe only problem is the 90 degree temps we have here. Boy would
I love to work in Idaho!!!!

handworn

My B-6 arrived today. I was afraid it was going to be too glossy a finish, but except for a few parts, it actually seems just about right. (The try-on jacket was very matte.) When trying it on I thought John might have gotten the leather around the arm holes wrong, since it seemed much blousier at the back of the body/arm joint than the fitting jacket I posted photos of, but then on looking at them I realized the fitting jacket is simply broken in, there, and mine is not, yet.

So the only real problem, of course, is that I'm going to have to wait most of a year before wearing it outside. :)