• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear A-1

ES335

Hi all,

About a year and a half ago I picked up this John Chapman beauty on TFL. For some reason, despite it having been listed for sale for some time I found it and pounced immediately although I was a bit unsure that size 46 would work for me as I usually take a 44. All was perfect with the fit, the price was right, zero wait, and I feel very fortunate and lucky to own this example of JC's work. Lovely buttery Capeskin, beautiful grain and color, and wearable during warmer months my moleskin-lined ELC Ostmann doesn't work in. I've received more random compliments in this jacket than any other bit of kit I own.

JC shows it off much better that I could, he tells me it was one of the very first made, about 2011:

Cheers, Phil

Last edited:

mulceber

Yeah, I can't count the number of posts I've seen on the hat place that amount to "JC made this jacket for me 2 months ago and I've only tried it on a couple times, now I'm selling it at a loss." And most of the time they're beautiful jackets in classic styles. Always puzzled me.

Chandler

Yeah, I can't count the number of posts I've seen on the hat place that amount to "JC made this jacket for me 2 months ago and I've only tried it on a couple times, now I'm selling it at a loss." And most of the time they're beautiful jackets in classic styles. Always puzzled me.
Buyer's remorse? Even at a loss?

CBI

I think the cost/price kicks in a little later so people decide to recover some of the money or use it for yet another jacket to feed the addiction.........and it actually is kind of an addiction. Yes, ha, ha but it actually does get out of control.

Rutger

I think sizing a person by phone, email, pictures etc. does not equal either measuring in situ, nor does it equal by chance finding another jacket with the perfect fit and then copying all those exact dimensions to the jacket desired. Fitting is also a matter of drape, and drape combines with the details in the build of a person.
In many cases remote sizing may work I guess, but every now and then, all the communication still will not give the (near) perfect fit. And then, well...off to another buyer who will either be happy with it, or sell it on after a while.

Oh, that's a great A-1 by the way, the A-1 has more style than the A-2. If you ever .....just let me know;)

ausreenactor

I think sizing a person by phone, email, pictures etc. does not equal either measuring in situ, nor does it equal by chance finding another jacket with the perfect fit and then copying all those exact dimensions to the jacket desired. Fitting is also a matter of drape, and drape combines with the details in the build of a person.
In many cases remote sizing may work I guess, but every now and then, all the communication still will not give the (near) perfect fit. And then, well...off to another buyer who will either be happy with it, or sell it on after a while.

Oh, that's a great A-1 by the way, the A-1 has more style than the A-2. If you ever .....just let me know;)
Those that can make the trip to Seattle are best served in the sizing space...

ES335

I think the cost/price kicks in a little later so people decide to recover some of the money or use it for yet another jacket to feed the addiction.........and it actually is kind of an addiction. Yes, ha, ha but it actually does get out of control.
I'm 60 now. As I see it at this point in life can I even begin to properly breaking 6, 10, 12 jackets? I'd rather have fewer super high quality jackets that I really love and WEAR, instead of a closet full of closet queens that rarely see the light of day. Just my opinion...

Last edited:

Nickb123

I'm 60 now. As I see it at this point in life can I even begin to properly breaking 6, 10, 12 jackets? I'd rather have better but fewer super high quality jackets that I really love and WEAR, instead of a closet full of closet queens that rarely see the light of day. Just my opinion...

But half the fun is hanging them from your wall on a nail and staring at them at all hours of the day!

CBI

with jackets, I really don't like them sitting in the closet or even displayed, its wear or discard............at least in theory...........

Rutger

Collecting in general is somehow embedded in mankind, I think more so in men's DNA than in that of women. Looking at myself: jackets, coins, model trains, books on trains, books on aircraft. Usually very specific though, not whatever comes by.
I do like to wear a different type of jacket every couple weeks though. Nylon or nomex doesn't need breaking in....thankfully.