• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Score Today

Stony

I saw an estate sale of a USCG Rear Admiral in the paper today so I decided to check it out. In one of the back bedrooms were a couple of hats, one being the older wood type pilots and aircrew would wear, this one having the scrambled eggs on the bill of a fleet officer. It was in really good shape, so I bought it. In the closet were a bunch of khaki shirt and pants, but none of them had anything on them. While flipping through all the khaki shirts, low and behold, I find two AN-J-2 summer flight jackets. One has his gold embossed name plate with his Captain rank, the other does not. One is a size 42 and is in imaculate shape, the other is a size 40 and has several white paint spots with some minor wear on the end of the sleeves and bottom. Both have triple marked talon zippers and both work perfectly. The strange thing about the labels are they have AN-J-2 on one line and AN6551 on the next line. I'm not overly familiar with these jackets, so I'm not sure why they have both designations on them.

After looking up Rear Admiral John D. McCubbin, it shows him as graduating from the Coast Guard Academy in 1939 and retiring in 1973. He completed flight training in 1942 in Pensacola and was assigned to anti-submarine duty flying out of Greenland during WWII.

These are the pics of the nice one with the name plate and the ball cap.

anj2front.jpg

mccubbinnameplate.jpg

anj2sz42label.jpg

anj2back.jpg

anj2biswingback.jpg

anj2talonzip.jpg

mccubbinballcap.jpg

I will be selling both jackets and the ball cap, so in the next couple of days I'll post them in the "Buy/Sell" section with the measurements and pricing.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
The strange thing about the labels are they have AN-J-2 on one line and AN6551 on the next line. I'm not overly familiar with these jackets, so I'm not sure why they have both designations on them.

Yes, great score ...

It's unusual to record both on a label, but AN-J-2, and AN6551 are the same spec. just as AN-J-3, and AN6552 are the same.