• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Garrison Cap Repro?

grommet

I recently obtained an original standard issue officer's garrison cap. It is not in the greatest shape for wearing, so I wanted to get a good repro. My old repro from WPG is shown in these photos on top of the real one. Although there is a slight difference in size (7 1/4 vs. 7 1/8), it is immediately obvious that the repro cap is cut wrong. It is too high. This is primarily due to the top being too high, as can be seen when superimposed. It does not taper gracefully from the top to the front and back. The left side fold fails to taper gracefully down towards the front (and, thus, the small portion of braid from the right side is not visible from the left). Finally, the braid itself is poorly made.

Although this may not be fair, from the photos posted on the ATF and WW II Impressions sites, their repros don't look a lot better. Has anyone got this right?

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Andrew

It's amazing really isn't it. Something so easily and stylishly made 70yrs ago and today they can't get it right.

I've noticed that originals aren't too expensive and seem to appear pretty frequently on Ebay. You wouldn't consider just waiting for a good one to show up?

I recently bought a summer one with rank from Anthony Jessen (Jessen's Relics Inc) and it was pretty cheap. You might try him.
[email protected]
http://www.jessensrelics.com/ushg2.html

zoomer

Andrew said:
It's amazing really isn't it. Something so easily and stylishly made 70yrs ago and today they can't get it right.
Over here these things are probably still made by suppliers to today's military. Today these hats, as well as the billed service caps (saucers), are made to have a higher profile so as to be more imposing when worn 2 fingers over the eyes and parallel to the deck.

Repros of earlier styles often are not worth modifying the current pattern - they just change the material.
crush_capgreen.jpg
US Wings cheapie crush cap

In WW2 there were no regulations about cap angles. Airmen, especially, wore their hats pretty much as a hat-wearing generation of civilians would do.