• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat vs Cow Question

Kermit3D

It seems to me that there is more grain on the goat skin. But this is not always true.

Goat :

front_view_flat.jpg

Cow :

front_view_flat.jpg

mulceber

More grain, and also more pebbly grain. Is there a jacket you’re trying to identify the leather of?

tda003

As I understand it, the G-1s were at one permitted to be either goat skin or cowhide, but the cowhide were supposed to be embossed(?) to resemble goat skin. My memory of the G-1s made during my time is that they were thick and heavy, much heavier than my slightly earlier goat skin w/ mouton collar. There may well be embossed thinner cowhide Which I'm guessing would be harder to differentiate. Not certain, however, but would kike to know when I finally get to my G-1 cache.

mulceber

From my knowledge, the "embossed cowhide" was only once you get into the '70s. Before that, nearly all Navy jackets were goatskin.

tda003

Thanks. As you can see, my knowledge is quite limited. However, I'm working on it. Has some brave soul committed any of the to writing?

Members online

Latest posts