• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glider Pilot in A-2

bfrench

Administrator
redjoshman said:
Cool Pic from the Life Archives of a Glider Pilot in an A-2 during D-Day in combat:

I doubt that you can get much cooler than that, anyway thought you guys may enjoy that.

-Josh

Fantastic pic and waaayyyy cool.

Bill French

Cobblers161

Excellent photo thanks for showing us.

The quality of Life images are second to none, they were shot for the purpose of telling a story in true reportage style sometimes, as in this case, under difficult circumstances. Nice one.

better duck

Welcome to the forum! And thanks for posting. Looks like a pretty beat up A2 and no wonder!
Any chance of some more information about you, your collection (if any, and if not: ambitions in that direction)?
You could post in the bio section ... :)

bob capa

I dont want to be the dude that rains on the other dudes parade but i wouldnt put money on him being a glider pilot.
Most glider pilots for Sicily and Normandy looked like the passenger.
I dont think a pilot officer would be involved at a section level with what apears to be a mix of Infanry and Mech troops (grease guns) in a house clearing.Most glider pilots carried M1 Rifles and not sidearms.
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l? ... 421f42a20e

this will take you to other pics from the same set,the set show Tommy guns also,makes me think either a HQ section from an infantry Btn with a mix of mech/cav

another thing to remember that glider pilots did not stick around for long,the priority being to get pilots back to the UK as fast as possible
Most if not all photos of glider pilots show coveralls,field jackets,burlap dressed helmets and mussette bags
it is a very cool photo that poses lots of questions but i cant imagine the answer would be that simple

1315de10c3a67e00_large.jpg

nice pic of glider pilots wearing rather standard infantry uniforms (air corps collar device on display)

note the chap 2nd from right is wearing AF patch on his coveralls over his field jacket

redjoshman

I agree most glider pilots seen in Normandy and other Operations looked like their passengers but in this and several other rare cases it they took on a more pilot like flair(this photo comes from a friend whose grandfather was a glider pilot, and was the one who took the photo) :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/294 ... f493_b.jpg

I don't think that guy was part of that group of guys and might be a glider pilot for several reasons:
1. He only appears once in the photo series.
2.The guys around him in that photo seem a wee bit suprised to see him waliking out of that building
3. He appears to be wearing B-7 Goggles, something that wouldn't see with HQ or Mech troops.

-Josh

dujardin

this is a splendid photo, brilliant.
if you have more like this one, don't hesitate; shar with us.

many many thanks

byeeeeee marcel

bob capa

agreed its a good photo,i guess we will never know,that is D Day is unlikely as it seems to be less coastal than any 6/6/44 photos
a good percentage of the chaps in the photo carry very little gear
if you folow the goggles being an exclusive air force item then the winter combat jacket would be only a ground forces garment but...................

493750aaf35954eb_large-1.jpg

i have photos of mech cavalry as well as horse cavalry wearing any and every variation of goggles made for the US military

really great photos and i guess we will never know

the dude could also be an artillery liason pilot attached to the HQ Battery of a FA Btn(similair equpment as mech recon units would use,no packs,light weapons,carbines,grease guns)

but if you follow the series of photos from the same set on the Life www you will see the A2 bloke again 7th from the left as well as someone wearing a GI helmet with Brit BD Jacket talking to french civilians (maybe French Lt Bars stitched above left chest)

Im just weighing up the options,glider pilopts are cool but so are arti liason pilots

1845cafb5fdcd944_landing.jpg

944f66803b534782_large.jpg

the photo you posted is awesome but not Normandy,there is buckle boots,B8 Garment bags,avo kit bags and 43 jackets so i doubt its an invasion pic,probably pre Holland training or maybe a logistics flight

redjoshman

The other two pics of the series, that you posted, I don't see the man with an A-2 but I do see the guy in the ETO Jacket or similar type jacket twice.

I wouldn't be suprised if the dress of Glider Pilots varied considerably with the ones that were pilots for the GIR wearing basicly a standard infantryman kit to help blend in with the troops around or whatever... I guess we can never be sure 100% but I think we can be reasonably sure.

I don't know if you have the book American Warriors but on Pg 204 the man standing on the far left is wearing an A-2, an M1 Helmet, Leggings, Service Shoes, and a .45 in a hip holster and no other gear. He is next to a Horsa Glider. It is a invasion pic with the vast amount of web gear of the glider troops lying next to it. Also their is a possible second guy in the pic, the third from the left also appears to be wearing an A-2 and is simarly attired as the first.

-Josh

bob capa

its not an eto jacket but a brit bd jacket,the 2 variations of eto jacket do not feature pleated pockets,one has slash pockets (similair to FielD Jacket OD) and the other has patch pockets on the chest(also note the rank tab above the left pocket)
the dude also apears to be wearing a hawley liner

i guess we will never know,and yes i have the De Trez books,awesome and best to date books on airborne liberation of Europe

the dude with the a2 apears 7th from left in the 2nd photo i posted,im pretty sure im not going crazy

here is a tighter grab,later man

1845cafb5fdcd944landing.jpg

fjm

Hi Josh,
Nice photo you posted, nice to see a young guy interested in this "stuff".
I am curious to know the make of the A2 you are wearing in your personal photo it has a nice look to it.
Thanks in advance.
Fred