• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson & Barnes M-422A - downsizing problems

auxair

Dear all,

I plan to order a G&B M-422A over the next couple of weeks for possible wearing in late October (I guess I don't wish to wait too long like I did for ELC and Aero)

I should be most grateful for your kind advice on the following:

(a) I am 5'8", 160 lb, 40" chest, 32" waist. My ELC RW 27752 A-2 at size 40 runs a slightly bit large and long (but not overly, just not the WWII snug fit). My Aero Anniversary (labelled as 40 too) is perfectly fit as Mark M passed my measurements to Amanda et al. I will down size to 38Short for the G&B M-442A, but should I go as far as 36S (after reading the threads here)?

(b) How is the authenticity of the G&B M-422A (BuAERO label, styling, crimson lining, zipper (Talon bell shape?)) compared to ELC and Aero. Does ELC still has the lead (as usual).

Thanks in advance - I plan to adorn the jacket with AVG insiginia - I promise to post pics when it eventually arrives (may be by Oct 09?)

bfrench

Administrator
auxair said:
Thanks deeb - so I guess I will send them a Talon zipper to replace the YKK

Why not order a try-on jacket to ensure correct sizing before going to the expense of custom work, ie - replacing the standard zipper with a Talon.

Only costs about $20.00 return for shipping - much better than having a jacket that doesn't fit exactly the way you want.

Cheers,
Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
auxair said:
Thanks deeb - so I guess I will send them a Talon zipper to replace the YKK

I wouldn't bother .... when you're happy with the jacket, change the slider yourself.

auxair

Thanks to both of you gentlemen for the very useful advice on zipper.

As regards the jacket sizing, would you suggest 38S or 36S? Not sure if the try on policy is applicable since I live in Hong Kong.

Quality wise, presumably G&B is not a bad choice in comparison with Aero and ELC (let's put GW aside)? Appreciate your comments.

bfrench

Administrator
auxair said:
Thanks to both of you gentlemen for the very useful advice on zipper.

As regards the jacket sizing, would you suggest 38S or 36S? Not sure if the try on policy is applicable since I live in Hong Kong.

Quality wise, presumably G&B is not a bad choice in comparison with Aero and ELC (let's put GW aside)? Appreciate your comments.

What you should probably do - because of your - location - is get one of the G&B reps to measure both jackets and see how they relate to your chest size.

The tightest jacket would probably be 2" larger then your chest size divided - ie - a 40" chest = 20" in a jacket laid flat - but that leaves no room to move - it would be like a tight t-shirt.

So add 2" and you'll wind up with an armpit to armpit measurement of 22" - use a jacket you have that fits comfortably and measure the armpit to armpit then apply that to the G&B measurements to give you a size from which to choose.

I also agree with Deed - just get the jacket and change the slider to a Talon - much cheaper - plus if you decide to sell the jacket all you have to do is reinstall the original slider.

Cheers,
Bill French

greyhound52

I think the 36 would be better for you. In my experience with GB I took a 42 in the ELC A2 and a 40 in the GB and even that was a bit loose. With the 422 you have the biwing swing which fits different than the A2 and gives you a bit more shoulder span. But Bill is right have them measure it and then decide.

asiamiles

auxair said:
I plan to order a G&B M-422A over the next couple of weeks for possible wearing in late October

You can really wear such a jacket in HK in late October...well maybe on a bus or in a cinema! :lol: Seriously though, apart from a few days in Jan/Feb, it's hard to imagine it being cool enough to wear something like a M-422A.

auxair

I have been actually doing that for the past 22 years, wearing my Avirex Mil Spec Aero/ELC A-2s, Aviation Leathercraft RAF regulation dark blue leather flying jacket and goverment issued L-2Bs/MA-1s from late Oct to early April - I guess the sense of temperature of an oriental and a westerner is somewhat different. If you are living in HK, you will surely notice that they dress differently (business attire aside - westerners still ub shortsleeve T-Shirts in winter vs Chinese in down or fleece jackets).

Appreciate your input anyway :)

auxair

mrchina said:
Auxair,

Are you the person that works at GFS at VHHH?

Regards,
Don

Affirm - but only as an auxiliary "weekend warrior", not a full time professional staff - like the US Air National Guard or British Auxiliary Air Force. Pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit to our base.

"Auxair" was the callsign of the old RHKAAF flight Ops

DJS48

Auxair,
Thanks for the reply. I live in Tung Chung(Caribbean Coast), near the airdrome.
Regards,
Don

rikitiki

I wear a size 40S sport coat and bought a size 38S Gibson and Barnes A-2, and find the 38S too big unless I'm wearing a sweater underneath. The 36S would probably be very snug, so you might need a "made to measure" jacket at about 37S.

SuinBruin

G&B jackets are very well made; however, I don't think they do custom or made-to-measure jackets anymore.

auxair

Dear All,

Corresponded with Amy of G&B - I will get a 38S and plan to place the order over the next two weeks.

Pics will be posted when the jacket arrives. Thanks again for your very useful input.

Cheers :)