• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GIBSON& BARNES HORSEHIDE WASH now with pictures added 12/9

A

Anonymous

I bought a gibson & Barnes horse hide A-2 on ebay for knocking around in size 46 condition good .The jacket had some patches on at some time that were removed .The lining was well worn similar to a real A-2 .I called G&B and asked about relining and sewing on more patches they told me the cost would be $50 for the relining and $5.00 for the patch sewing (3 patches) + shipping a good deal I thought .The jacket was to big on me so I thought I would machine wash it ,at our apt complex we have machines with the waste water pipe hooks over the sink .I stayed with the machine whilst it was washing you should seen the color of the water emptying in to the sink it was black .The jacket did not look that dirty ,I then dried the jacket in the dryer low heat .
The jacket body lost its blouseyness the arms stayed the same length and I gained some nice grain in different places .I washed the jacket again and again the came out black dried it again and picked up more grain . Then washed it again the water was much cleaner and also picked up more grain in a previously featureless grain leather .I wonder how dirty the originals were that I owned in the past with a sixty year history .I think for me my interest will be on solely repro jackets as every time I will see an original I will think of the black water coming out of the machine from my 10 year old G&B .
I though this might be of interest to you guys ,
Ps I thought the needle holes from the patches would close up a bit re the washing and drying shrinkage but did not interestingly enough .The 3rd picture shows a little of the original leather without grain by the collar tip and the arm grain shows a big contrast.The shiney patches are Pecards test areas front and back .Also I used tide washing liquid with the jacket in the washing machine because the jacket had a weird smell ,like a floral sweet smell this has now gone .Thanks for your interest it was an interesting experiment .
006.jpg

011.jpg

007.jpg

020.jpg

018.jpg

013.jpg

All the best Jeff

zoomer

Re: GIBSON& BARNES HORSEHIDE WASH

Yeah, nothing can remedy needle holes in leather. You can make them less visible, but they'll never disappear.

Tim P

I hand washed an original Aero I had. :eek:

it stank that badly that I was unable to store it anywhere in the house without the stink.
in desperation I washed it in the bath.
My god the colour of that water.
slow dry in a warm room and two light coats of pecards and it was good to go. got rid of 80% of the odour.

Tariacuri

DUBOWA2 said:
I bought a gibson & Barnes horse hide A-2 on ebay for knocking around in size 46 condition good .The jacket had some patches on at some time that were removed .The lining was well worn similar to a real A-2 .I called G&B and asked about relining and sewing on more patches they told me the cost would be $50 for the relining and $5.00 for the patch sewing (3 patches) + shipping a good deal I thought .The jacket was to big on me so I thought I would machine wash it ,at our apt complex we have machines with the waste water pipe hooks over the sink .I stayed with the machine whilst it was washing you should seen the color of the water emptying in to the sink it was black .The jacket did not look that dirty ,I then dried the jacket in the dryer low heat .
The jacket body lost its blouseyness the arms stayed the same length and I gained some nice grain in different places .I washed the jacket again and again the came out black dried it again and picked up more grain . Then washed it again the water was much cleaner and also picked up more grain in a previously featureless grain leather .I wonder how dirty the originals were that I owned in the past with a sixty year history .I think for me my interest will be on solely repro jackets as every time I will see an original I will think of the black water coming out of the machine from my 10 year old G&B .
I though this might be of interest to you guys ,
Ps I thought the needle holes from the patches would close up a bit re the washing and drying shrinkage but did not interestingly enough .

All the best Jeff

My guess would be that the black is actually die from the leather, lining, and maybe cuffs. It sounds like the jacket had never gotten soaked/washed before.

CBI

Yes, probably not all dirt and yes again, the odour on some of the old ones can be tough. One of the many reaosns I stay away from originals as cool as they are.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bill I will try and post some later today or tomorrow ,having trouble logging on to photobucket .Kind regards Jeff

That looks really good Jeff! My G&B horsehide A-2 was so darn bullet proof I didn't think it would ever break in. I sold it to fund a RMNZ A-2.

A

Anonymous

More like bomb proof. I washed mine(G/B HH Mahogany) in warm water on delicate cycle, man was that water black! Then tumble dry on low heat, making sure no shrinkage every few min. Then final drying on a padded hanger, then a coat of pecards when 100% dry.

No harm done, little more grain, little softer, but the jacket still could pass for new.

Nice jackets but they don't wear in like the top end models. Good workmanship, tuff knits/zips.

I love the leather JC is using these days.

SpeednAngels

So far this is the funniest post I have read.. I mean washing out the manstink
and replacing it with hospital cleanliness. You guys keep me laughing!!
Once an animal is dead so is his hide!! LOL

A

Anonymous

I have washed the jacket 2 more times (5 times total) and dried it once ,may be added 5% more grain so that it for the leather .I guess the rest is up to me to break it in more ,the leather does not seem as spongey and there was no detriment to the stiching .I applied pecards to the jacket straight from the dryer ,it took me about 2 minutes to do the whole jacket and the coverage was very even much easier to do because I was not fighting with the viscosity of the pecards and the heat made the pecards soak in almost immediatly .The buffing of the jacket was performed once the jacket cooled down and I am very pleased with the result .I am now going to send off the jacket to G&B and have it patched and relined .
All the best Jeff