• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson&Barnes a2 help

drew parker

I'm buying a g&B a2 but needs some help choosing the hide. I know what there hh is like, I have seen there russet hh, but have not seen the veg tan goat other than a sample. The sample is nice, alittle dark for russet, but hard to imagine in the jacket. I'm alittle weary that the veg. goat will just look like the curret air force issue. Does anybody have the mk.31,and can tell me about it? How does the goat feel, how does it look after some wear and do you like the silk lining?

bfrench

Administrator
drew parker said:
I'm buying a g&B a2 but needs some help choosing the hide. I know what there hh is like, I have seen there russet hh, but have not seen the veg tan goat other than a sample. The sample is nice, alittle dark for russet, but hard to imagine in the jacket. I'm alittle weary that the veg. goat will just look like the curret air force issue. Does anybody have the mk.31,and can tell me about it? How does the goat feel, how does it look after some wear and do you like the silk lining?

Hi, Drew,

Have a look at this link

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7091

Bill French

atkins

I have somewhere a picture of VLJ member in his MK 31, i'll post it a.s.a.p. My opinion is MK 31 is the most close to original repro jacket from Gibson and Barnes.

Thanks for the link ,Bill.

Hamsterbear

You'll find that the G&B goatskin A-2 is the best jacket they make.
It's my favorite of all my jackets, and after many years it is really breaking in nicely.
collar_details.jpg

BrianA-2andB-17Bomber.jpg

GBGoatskinA-2006-1.jpg

Hamsterbear

Well, The two jacket makers that fit me the best are Eastman and Flight Suits/G&B. Both are high quality. Aero's are nice ,too- but they just don't seem to fit me well. One exception is their "Real Deal" which is very good.
The picture of the goatskin G&B above technically isn't a "Type" jacket, notice there is no collar stand. I bought that on their clearance rack for $299, just before the debut of the "Type" line offerings, so perhaps they were getting rid of the older stock. The goatskin is superb, the silk lining is very nice, and the knits are much better than Eastman. Some don't like the YKK zipper, but I would much prefer that because it is almost indestructible. I've had zippers fail on Eastman, Aero and others. I'm also not that "anal" about being a 100% stitch-for-stitch copy of a WWII original, besides they're all different anyway. ( John Chapman has proved that by his wide selection) G&B has great customer service, and they're local for me being in southern California. I've bought or acquired at least a dozen of their jackets-A-2 G-1, m-422a, Raider, Expedition, and Skyliner. The only other jacket they have that I want is the F-82, which is a blend of the A-2 and the Navy type jackets, and to me is the perfect leather flight jacket in comfort, style and functionality. I've found that some of the G&B jackets run larger than the tagged size, and you may have to go down a size. I usually wear a 42 in Eastman, and the goatskin A-2 is also a 42, but other jackets from G&B I wear a 40reg.

drew parker

Thanks guys for the responce. Hamster bear the jacket looks great. That looks like the older goat, G&B used. Hey Bill how is your mk31 wearing, is it looking like HB pics? Elaberate alittle. I'm still hashing this over, keep'em coming. Drew

bfrench

Administrator
drew parker said:
Thanks guys for the responce. Hamster bear the jacket looks great. That looks like the older goat, G&B used. Hey Bill how is your mk31 wearing, is it looking like HB pics? Elaberate alittle. I'm still hashing this over, keep'em coming. Drew

Hi, Drew,

I have the horsehide and goat from G&B and they all wear very well - the shine has gone away but the jacket still looks new - not worn out looking at all.

I like the goatskin over the horsehide - it seems to almost have a heavy cloth feel where the horsehide is stiffer and doesn't drape as well - also the goatskin is supposed to be a more durable hide even though it is more supple than horsehide.

Cheers,
Bill French

I agree with everything Brian (Hamsterbear) said about Gibson & Barns jackets. I saw his G&B goatskin A2 a week ago when we were at the Reno Air Races. It was the most beautiful A2 I have seen! Awesome patina!

My G&B goatskin A2 is my favorite A2.
219382493_TeUze-L.jpg

drew parker

Thanks for all the responces: I ordered the Mark31 yesterday. They are out of my size, so their making me one. I requested they use the grainest goat they have. They said that was no problem. The wait, 2 weeks. Thanks Drew. :D