• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson and Barnes G-1

RCSignals

Philalethes said:
Quick question about the G-1 cuffs: is it true that they are synthetic and not wool? If so, are they still comfortable? Durable?

Thanks,
Philalethes

I understand they are wool, however the black knits they use on the black jackets are acrylic.

Jaguar46

ghq1 said:
Not sure why the true extra cost these days . .Real wool, better zips/leather, rayon lining?. . . G&B are so reasonable used that I don't think I'd ever pay full buck for one . . ANJ is by far my favorite with G-1 style pockets, A-2 windflap and shoulder eps . . G&B uses a wool single ply rib rack on the ANJ which is correct but IMO flimsier than the folded over waistband . . .

I called G&B today and talked to Jeremy. He explaind 2 things to me. One is that when deciding on a size, that once you find a size that fits, the rest of their range of jackets is designed to fit with the same general size, e.g., an A2 in a 38R, if it fits, than a G1 or a 422-A in a 38R, would be the place to start to get anappropriate fit in that jacket. He explained that they won't fit exactly the same, since the jacket patterns are different,a G1 will be roomier due to it biswing back.

The other thing is that the G1, Civil G1, 422-A and ANJ-3 are pretty much made the same, that the patterns are the same, the leathers used are the same, the knits are the same, linings etc, i.e., the materials are basicly the same. When I asked about why the ANJ3 and 422-A are more expensive, he told me that it had to do with the name of the style of the jacket, i.e., since a 422-A was an earlier jacket, historically, it was therefore a "rarer style". It didn't make much sense to me, since they can make as many G&B 422-A's, or G&B ANJ3s that there are orders for. But that is the explanation I got. If I order a jacket, I will probably get just a G1, or a civil G1. These jackets aren't meant to be exact duplicate replicas, like Goodwear jackets are, so in my eyes, why pay all that much more for the name of an earlier style when the materials aren't significantly different?

RCSignals

So he's saying the fit and cut for size is the same across all the leather flight jackets. That means the sizes given to me for the M-422a, being a 52" chest circumference for a size 40 applies to A-2s etc. That is about a size 48, maybe a 46, from some other makers.

I think older Flightsuits/G+B jackets are sized more conventionally.

Flyderf

Yep, I got the jacket back in June. I love the jacket. The leather is thinner goat than what I expected, especially when compared to their Indy Expedition jacket. The knits are also thinner than other Gibson and Barnes knits. I don't mind, I just wonder how well it will wear. It's not going to be the every day go to jacket anyway. The fit is more generous than their historic A-2s. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I can't wait for cooler weather. I'll try to post some pictures.