• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gibson and Barnes G-1

dav3469

My G & B G-1 arrived last Thursday, and it is quickly becoming my go to jacket. I am very pleased with the quality, finish, and fit.

The fit turned out great. I usually take a 50, but after advice that the G & B jackets do run big, I went with the 48. I am glad I did. The fit is just right. When I get a 50 it is usually a compromise between a good fit in the shoulders, but even with the battle of the bulge going on, I still seem to get a bit of a baggy fit at times. No such problem with this jacket.

Customer service/shipping was a pleasant experience, and was quick.

Here are a couple photo's of the jacket.
IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

dav3469

sealbeachbum said:
Nice jacket! You can't go wrong with G&B IMHO. I have a whole closet full of their jackets.

Thanks. I am impressed enough that I think later in the year I will try out their M-422 repro. My understanding is that they do not run as "big" as their G-1. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm a size 46 so I ordered a size 44 G&B M422A. It is still a bit large. I think a 42T would have been a perfect fit! If I ever buy another G&B jacket (I probably will) I think I'll ride down to San Diego and try them on next time. I've never had the guts to order two sizes down, but I've bought enough jackets from them that now I'm pretty convinced that you have to order two sizes down in a tall. At least for me.

122351575_yb5Ku-L.jpg

I've lost 30 lbs since this picture was taken so it is definitely on the large side!

kojax

nice jacket i to get a g-1 jacket from gibson barnes what size should i get i am size 38 sport jacket maybe size 36 thank you people

dav3469

kojax said:
nice jacket i to get a g-1 jacket from gibson barnes what size should i get i am size 38 sport jacket maybe size 36 thank you people

My experience was I went a size down. I am glad I did. Customer service even told me they ran a bit big.

Hamsterbear

sealbeachbum said:
If I ever buy another G&B jacket (I probably will) I think I'll ride down to San Diego and try them on next time.

Road trip! Lets go! My next G&B is the F-82. The factory is a 1/4 mile from Gillespie Field.

zoomer

I too own a G&B '422A. I'm usually a size 44, but their 42 is quite comfy on me.

G&B does great work, but I'd like to see them put pre-war details* on their so-called Mk '31 A-2. It would be a unique niche in their price range.

*topstitched knits; rivet zipper; hidden rivet neck hook.
And stop making them out of goat and telling people it was used in the early '30s. Piffle!

RCSignals

These jackets look great. I keep reading how G+B jackets fit 'large'. One has to wonder why they just don't label their jackets for actual fit. 42 instead of 44 for example, as it seems that is what they are, not as labeled.

dav3469

RCSignals said:
These jackets look great. I keep reading how G+B jackets fit 'large'. One has to wonder why they just don't label their jackets for actual fit. 42 instead of 44 for example, as it seems that is what they are, not as labeled.

They could, but then I wouldn't have had that "feels" good to go a size down happiness! :D

Hamsterbear said:
sealbeachbum said:
If I ever buy another G&B jacket (I probably will) I think I'll ride down to San Diego and try them on next time.

Road trip! Lets go! My next G&B is the F-82. The factory is a 1/4 mile from Gillespie Field.

Hey Brian, if you fly down there sometime how about picking me up in LGB on the way! :)

Flyderf

I'm going to order the AN-J-3 later this week. I would like a different variety of jacket, without a mouton collar.

drew parker

I must be an odd one. I ordered a mark 31 back in oct 10. I wear a 46, I orderd a 44. It was tight in the shoulders , short in the arms. I switched it for a 46, it fits perfect, and the goatskin is awesome. By far my favorite jacket. :D

ghq1

drew parker said:
I must be an odd one. I ordered a mark 31 back in oct 10. I wear a 46, I orderd a 44. It was tight in the shoulders , short in the arms. I switched it for a 46, it fits perfect, and the goatskin is awesome. By far my favorite jacket. :D

A-2's can be a whole diff kettle esp for chest & arm length

I'm 6' &170 lbs and have the G&B G-1, ANJ-3, CWU-36 and M-422a -- all in 42 REG and think they fit me great

Jaydee

RCSignals said:

I have found it to be not that simple in trying out different sizes with G&B. You can't just go down a size because all of the proportions are not a full size smaller. It is a good thing that they have Short and Tall options because this gives you a better chance of finding a good fit. Then there's always custom work by G&B....

It would be best to go to the factory so you can nail down your size without all the second guessing and mailing back trade-ins that don't fit.

Philalethes

Quick question about the G-1 cuffs: is it true that they are synthetic and not wool? If so, are they still comfortable? Durable?

Thanks,
Philalethes

Jaguar46

ghq1 said:
I'm 6' &170 lbs and have the G&B G-1, ANJ-3, CWU-36 and M-422a -- all in 42 REG and think they fit me great

Which one do you like the best of these? I notice the ANJ-3 ($538) and M-422A ($578) are much more expensive than the G1 ($358), Civil G1 ($358/378) and CWU-36 ($358/378). Any reason why they are so much more costly?

Jaydee said:
I have found it to be not that simple in trying out different sizes with G&B. You can't just go down a size because all of the proportions are not a full size smaller. It is a good thing that they have Short and Tall options because this gives you a better chance of finding a good fit. Then there's always custom work by G&B....

It would be best to go to the factory so you can nail down your size without all the second guessing and mailing back trade-ins that don't fit.

Has anyone been to the factory? Do they have a supply of "sizing jackets" sitting around to establish ones size?

I have 2 G&B's Civil A2s, one bought off EBAY. They are not sized the same, the first was a 40R and has a Pit to Pit of 24, but after ordering a new one in 40R, the pit to pit came in too large at 25, so I had to send it back for a 38R which ended up being pit to pit of 24 and fits well. I think their sizing may not be consistent.

ghq1

Jaguar46 said:
ghq1 said:

JAGUAR46 wrote: Which one do you like the best of these? I notice the ANJ-3 ($538) and M-422A ($578) are much more expensive than the G1 ($358), Civil G1 ($358/378) and CWU-36 ($358/378). Any reason why they are so much more costly --

Bought the ANJ several years back on the sale page AND before G&B raised their prices and paid about $299 . ..M422a was second hand from a VLJ forum member . . .

Not sure why the true extra cost these days . .Real wool, better zips/leather, rayon lining?. . . G&B are so reasonable used that I don't think I'd ever pay full buck for one . . ANJ is by far my favorite with G-1 style pockets, A-2 windflap and shoulder eps . . G&B uses a wool single ply rib rack on the ANJ which is correct but IMO flimsier than the folded over waistband . . .

The CWU is nice as well since it accepts a liner . .. plus mine came modded by Pop's Leather with leather cuffs and waistband which makes it a little cleaner in look and wear . . .