• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Back To Our Roots … The Rough Wear 23380.

B-Man2

Hey Guys
This is another posting in the “Getting Back To Our Roots” series of posts. It’s an original Rough Wear 23380 in very nice condition for its age. While the size tag is no longer in place, I’m sure that it’s a size 48 based on the measurements and the way that it fits.
The Rough Wear 23380 contract was the 4th contract issued to the Rough Wear, Clothing Co. In 1941. Once again … in spite of previous notions to the contrary , the 23380 contract was predominantly made in cow hide. The manufacturers label was unique in that it had a smaller add on label sewn under the main label stating “Property Air Force US Army”.
The jacket had an M-41 No5 Crown zipper in bright nickel. This contract had a collar stand.
As previous posted … these original jackets are being featured in hopes that many of you will compare your repros and post comparative photos of them to see where the original and the repros match and where they are different. Additionally I’m hoping that any of you who may own original jackets will share photos of them with all of us in an effort to keep the “ Vintage “ in VLJ, alive.
Hope you guys enjoy the photos .
Cheers
IMG_2890.jpeg
IMG_2891.jpeg
IMG_2892.jpeg
IMG_2893.jpeg
IMG_2894.jpeg
IMG_2895.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2897.jpeg
IMG_2898.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg

CK90

Thanks for sharing B-man. My favourite A-2 maker, these insights are priceless, I'll be sure to keep following this series. Beautiful jacket to have in the collection. The condition of the hide still looks superb. One question, would you try and have the lining fixed, or just leave it alone?

B-Man2

Thanks for sharing B-man. My favourite A-2 maker, these insights are priceless, I'll be sure to keep following this series. Beautiful jacket to have in the collection. The condition of the hide still looks superb. One question, would you try and have the lining fixed, or just leave it alone?
At this stage I would just leave it alone. Changing a lining in an original has a some negative impacts on the jacket in terms of value , authenticity and the increased wear and tear of turning it inside out and sewing new holes in the hide when attaching the lining. It’s not a daily wearer so leaving in this condition is probably better for it in terms of care and preservation .

B-Man2

Pa12

Pete
That’s about as close to an original 23380 as you can get. John Chapman has a gift when it comes to duplicating these original contracts.
As you look at the different sections and match them up with the photos of the original they are spot on .
No doubt rw is johns specialty. Though all his stuff is perfect. As I said before, thought I’d sworn off roughwear for life until I got this. It’s about 2 years old. If some kind of catastrophe befell me and had to go down to one jacket, this would have to be the one.

Pa12

Yeah, not really a fair comparison I guess. The Italian hh is pretty stiff and creaky. Reminds me of old school motorcycle jackets. It is getting better though. Just can’t sneak up on anyone yet ;)

caddyd

Name the contract! Here's an original Rough Wear in top shape for an eighty year old. The leather is totally solid without any cracks or peeling and still has its original Crown zip and waist knit in good condition. It probably
DSCN5982.JPG
DSCN5984.JPG
DSCN5983.JPG
DSCN5988.JPG
DSCN5997.JPG
DSCN5995.JPG
was a war issue as it has name and squadron stitching through the leather but not the re-lining. But its missing its original label so what contract?

Silver Surfer

With rws, it’s hard to pin down conclusively. A coupla guide posts. For the most part, 1401s had shorter pocket flaps, and sometimes longer collar lobes, and or slightly larger collars. Most, but not all 27752 contracts were made with darker russet or seal hides. The 23380 were made with the additional property of label, though it is entirely possible that some were made with out it. Many of the earlier rws were made with knits that were slightly orangy brown……but not all. Point being, there are tells, but as mentioned, they are not conclusive.

mulceber

Name the contract! Here's an original Rough Wear in top shape for an eighty year old. The leather is totally solid without any cracks or peeling and still has its original Crown zip and waist knit in good condition. It probably View attachment 141813View attachment 141815View attachment 141817View attachment 141819View attachment 141821View attachment 141823was a war issue as it has name and squadron stitching through the leather but not the re-lining. But its missing its original label so what contract?
My guess would be 1401-P - my reason being the crown zipper (seen on 1401-P all the time, 23380 commonly, 27752 very rarely) and the brown thread (always seen on the early RWs, whereas 23380 and 27752 were more commonly seen with OD thread).