• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gettin’ wet to break in…

Simply put, how wet? The southeast US is getting a pretty good drenching today and would be a good day to take a lap or two around the house.

B-Man2

Getting it wet is the easy part. The problem is … wearing it or stuffing it full of towels so that it doesn’t shrink until it’s dry

Adama36

So, I wore it out in a torrential downpour until it was about 3 pounds heavier, and it soaked through to my skin. Then I took it inside and wrung it out. Next, I put it in the dryer on medium heat for about 2 hours.

Did I do it right?
don't forget to iron it to remove wrinkles ;)

B-Man2

So, I wore it out in a torrential downpour until it was about 3 pounds heavier, and it soaked through to my skin. Then I took it inside and wrung it out. Next, I put it in the dryer on medium heat for about 2 hours.

Did I do it right?
Uhhhh …. No….
tmp.gif

I’m guessing your jacket will probably be at about a size smaller .

B-Man2

So … I have to ask … did you wear it out and then put it in the dryer, and then ask us for advice ?
Because it seems that it was kind of indicated that you should let the jacket dry at room temperatures either wearing the jacket or packing towels into the arms and body cavity to maintain its shape and size while it was drying …… you didn’t do any of that .

Smithy

I've got jackets wet plenty of times, never used a drier though and never will.

This.

I've worn all my leather in from drizzle to absolute downpours.

Horween CXL FQHH couldn't give a shit about rain because of the thickness and enormous amount of waxes in it. Water just beads on it.

Chrome tanned seems to be more immediately water resistant. It doesn't get spot marks which some veg tanned stuff does. Not that I've had any permanent problems with either.

One I do not recommend wearing in a rainstorm is sheepskin. You won't damage it but it weighs a ton, smells like a wet dog and takes over a week to dry.

Putting a soaking jacket in a dryer with heat isn't the sharpest thing to do.

Members online

Latest posts