• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George Clooney jacket in Leatherheads, what's the real story

Who

In the movie it looks great - thick leather, aged, worn and apparently vintage. Belstaff have produced a version as a tie in which is pretty average looking, if you ask me. I read in an on line article that Belstaff gave Clooney the jacket. My question is: is it a genuine vintage jacket (an old Belstaff perhaps.) Can't find anything else on it. The Belstaff site says the jacket is vintage "inspired by the Belstaff museum". That sounds very unclear to me. Is sounds like they mean it's a vintage design but a new jacket.

Anyone know the answer?

Cheers - Who

Grant

Miles works with a vintage clothing collector who supply hollywood with a good deal of vintage clothing. I'll bet he could answer the question.

Tommer45

I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but all I can add is that I worked on Leatherheads for 5 weeks and Clooney was out on his bike (well, rented Harleys & BMWs) alllll the time while we were down in the Carolinas. He is a real motorcycle nut and from the few guys on set who knew anything about leather jackets they said his was a newer Belstaff (not vintage). I don't have proof being that I never got to see the actual jacket but that's what I heard.

Also, for those of you who fancied the 1918 Indian cycle in the film, it was completely electric. It was funny seeing them ride around on set without an exhaust note to be heard.

Hopefully this helps.

Tommer

Leatherheads.jpg

Who

Tommer45 said:
I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but all I can add is that I worked on Leatherheads for 5 weeks and Clooney was out on his bike (well, rented Harleys & BMWs) alllll the time while we were down in the Carolinas. He is a real motorcycle nut and from the few guys on set who knew anything about leather jackets they said his was a newer Belstaff (not vintage). I don't have proof being that I never got to see the actual jacket but that's what I heard.

Also, for those of you who fancied the 1918 Indian cycle in the film, it was completely electric. It was funny seeing them ride around on set without an exhaust note to be heard.

Hopefully this helps.

Tommer

Leatherheads.jpg

Thanks Tommer, interesting. If it is new that jacket has been distressed increadibly well. All those Indiana Jones jackets from the movies look fake next to this Leatherheads jacket.

Cheers

Tommer45

Who said:
All those Indiana Jones jackets from the movies look fake next to this Leatherheads jacket.

Cheers

I completely agree.. while I hear the Tony Nowak Indiana Jones jacket is built incredibly well, the distressing looks terrible. It looks like all wardrobe had was some sandpaper. There is a huge difference between the distressing of the Indy jacket from "Raiders" and the jacket from the newest film. The one in Raiders was believable as a very weathered jacket. While working on Indy 4 I got the chance to handle "Mutt's" 1950s biker jacket (also from Tony Nowak). It was pretty nicely distressed... washed a few times so the grain really popped. Nothing too over the top. Too bad Indy's jacket looked terrible brand new on film.

Tommer

SuinBruin

The look of the jacket was the least of the problems with IJ4. I was too busy noticing the crummy plot, dialogue, acting, direction, action scenes, and CGI to pay much attention to the wardrobe. (The Adventurebilts looked OK, tho.)

Tommer45

SuinBruin said:
The look of the jacket was the least of the problems with IJ4. I was too busy noticing the crummy plot, dialogue, acting, direction, action scenes, and CGI to pay much attention to the wardrobe. (The Adventurebilts looked OK, tho.)

You've never spoken truer words my friend. The combo of Spielberg, Lucas and CGI is enough to ruin anything! Those guys are mere shadows of their former selves.

btw my Adventurebilt order is going on 14 months now... their waiting list will soon rival that of Randall Made knives!

Tommer

SuinBruin

The less said about KOCS, the better. I still can't understand how so may critics and Indy fans liked it....

As for the Adventurebilt, rest assured that it will be worth the wait. I own both an AB and an AB Deluxe, and they're great hats. (I do need to send my AB to Steve for a reblock, though....)

Tommer45

Yeah I'm just patiently waiting.. I realize Steve has a lot of work on his hands.. no complaints from me. Even my wife, who really could care less about the hat, can't wait for the thing to finally show up!

Who

Jesus, I'm sorry I brought up the Indiana Jones reference. Everyone's suddenly a film critic. Sure it was poor, but not as diabolically appalling as The Last Crusade which features the worst acting, the lamest plot, and the most inappropriate use of Sean Connery since the execrable Family Business. :lol:

SuinBruin

If having standards for what I watch and read = being a "critic," then I guess I'd fit the bill.

And Last Crusade has its flaws, but it is light years beyond KOCS. Absolutely no contest there, and I suspect the vast majority of IJ fans would concur on that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled jacket programming....

Who

SuinBruin said:
If having standards for what I watch and read = being a "critic," then I guess I'd fit the bill.

And Last Crusade has its flaws, but it is light years beyond KOCS. Absolutely no contest there, and I suspect the vast majority of IJ fans would concur on that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled jacket programming....

:lol: