• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genuine USAF N-3B manufacturing doubt

eamenos

Hi,

I'm the owner of a couple of genuine issued N3B parkas, dated from 1964 (Southern Athletic Co) and 1972 (Skyline Clothing Corporation).

The Skyline one, as shown in the label, has 100% wool interlining. However, in the Southern Athletic one from 1964, the label don't talk about its interlining manufacturing. Do anyone know if those Southerns from the 60s were 100% wool or 60% wool / 40% cotton?

On the other hand, which of the 2 options would be more warmer, 100% wool interlining or a 60% wool / 40 cotton N3B? I haven't test mine yet

Thank you very much.

Regards

B-Man2

Hi,

I'm the owner of a couple of genuine issued N3B parkas, dated from 1964 (Southern Athletic Co) and 1972 (Skyline Clothing Corporation).

The Skyline one, as shown in the label, has 100% wool interlining. However, in the Southern Athletic one from 1964, the label don't talk about its interlining manufacturing. Do anyone know if those Southerns from the 60s were 100% wool or 60% wool / 40% cotton?

On the other hand, which of the 2 options would be more warmer, 100% wool interlining or a 60% wool / 40 cotton N3B? I haven't test mine yet

Thank you very much.

Regards
Having owned several N-3B jackets at various times, the 100% wool jacket was the heavier and warmer jacket I’m sure that the Southern from 1964 was 100 wool as well.

Erwin

I believe that the answer is in a MIL-J9274 [especially F and G] regarding interlining. When newer parkas made in 1972 have a woolen interlining, the older ones from 1964 should contain a similar insulating material. However, on some contracts from MIL-J-6279H (1) parkas interlining had a wool/cotton 60/40 blend - like for example those made by Lancer. That's why the specification should give a proper answer.