• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 Mouton Collar Black or Brown ?

anthonyhie

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me if the colour of the sheepskin collar depends on a particular rule?
For example I see G1 Brill Bros ca 68 7823D either with black collars and also for the same year with brown collars...
What makes the manufacturer put a brown or black collar?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Flightengineer

I have never seen a black muton on G-1, with the exception of perhaps one contract, it seems was Cagleco.
Brill from 1968 definitely has all brown mouton collars.
Usually it is brown of varying degrees of color, darker if new and lighter if faded out.
Black is usually a dynel collar and not a mouton.

anthonyhie

I have never seen a black muton on G-1, with the exception of perhaps one contract, it seems was Cagleco.
Usually it is brown of varying degrees of color, darker if new and lighter if faded out.
Thank you very clear !

JonnyCrow

Cagleco G1 :)
c80962a7e74dc1c81815498720a4302c.jpg

galvestonokie

one thing i've learned about these USN jackets over the years is that there are often exceptions. This includes collars. I agree, most of the dynel collars begin looking a shade of black. But, during my time in naval aviation (1967-1970), seems most collars were dark brown or black. and most jackets were issued prior to the dynel days. just saying, any blanket statement will probably be proven in error.

Deacon211

one thing i've learned about these USN jackets over the years is that there are often exceptions. This includes collars. I agree, most of the dynel collars begin looking a shade of black. But, during my time in naval aviation (1967-1970), seems most collars were dark brown or black. and most jackets were issued prior to the dynel days. just saying, any blanket statement will probably be proven in error.

That interesting! By my time, the ‘90s, I wouldn’t have said that any of the collars were black. Dynel of course.

Would you say that they were true black? Or just a very dark brown.

Flightengineer

Nope- definitely not Cagleco- the body's way too long, pockets too far from zipper.

ZuZu

Sadly that thread is not correct. Original Caglecos always have pocket really close to the zipper. Examples:

DSC09515.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

The jacket Holden is wearing in Brides at Toko Ri has acres of room between the zipper and the pocket:

tokorim422-main1-1.jpg

The collar on Holden's jacket may have been less dark. Filming can be deceptive. That's why so many think A-2s were dark seal colored- the camera is a liar...

Last edited:

bseal

Sadly that thread is not correct. Original Caglecos always have pocket really close to the zipper. Examples:

View attachment 88985
View attachment 88987

The jacket Holden is wearing in Brides at Toko Ri has acres of room between the zipper and the pocket:

View attachment 88989

The collar on Holden's jacket may have been less dark. Filming can be deceptive. That's why so many think A-2s were dark seal colored- the camera is a liar...

Correction: In the film industry, it’s often referred to as a 24 frame per second lie detector.

Last edited:

Nickb123

Looks like there’s a pencil pocket seam in that photo.
E401ED2B-DC6E-43FE-B0EB-164AD93E95F0.png

I think Holden’s mouton is just light trickery. It is appears to be a dark dark brown. Look at where the light hits the top of the back of the collar.
50D82FE9-00DB-44AB-A63D-7B7425794072.jpeg