• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G1 date question

A

Anonymous

I have a G1 made by Ralph Edwards the label reads as follows /MIL-J-7823E (AS) RALPH EDWARDS SPORTS WEAR INC, 8415-00-268-7624,DLA100-84-C-0/71.It is made of goatskin that I am sure of because I used to own a cowhide one stamped pattern grain like goat and the collar is faux mouton .My question is where is the date of manufacture .Many thanks Jeff

Atticus

Appears to be 1984.

You know, I sorta have my own personal theory about G-1 quality. I think the old ones were the best. When I say old, I mean D-series and older. I think the mid-seventies were the worst. They were made of thick, creaky cowhide. They weighed a ton and were stiff as plywood. Indeed, the 1976 Imperial Leather G-1 may represent the very bottom of this quality curve. Finally, I think that G-1 quality increased after the 1978 blackout. I have a 1992 Cooper that is made from fantastic, grainy goatskin and is a very well constructed jacket---a daily wearer for me.

So I'm thinking your 1984 RE could turn out to be a very good find.

By the way, the "84" in DLA100-84-C-0/71 is the date of manfacture.

AF

Jason

Atticus said:
Indeed, the 1976 Imperial Leather G-1 may represent the very bottom of this quality curve.

I'm quite besotted with my '76 Imperial. Yeah, it's cowhide. It squeaks and creeks. Construction quality is OK - a few seams may not be exactly laser straight. And sure my 1960s 7823B G-1s are undeniably nicer... I guess the point I'm trying to make is that even though the 1976 Imperial may be the bottom of the barrel, but they're still OK for someone starting out or wanting a beater. My 1990s Ralph Edwards isn't in the same league as my Imperial I think... the leather on the RE - even though it appears to be goatskin - is stiff and 'lifeless'. Even the dynel collar on the RE isn't in the same class - thinner & less dense.

Then again, someone told me that some of the stamps on my Imperial denote it as a 'test sample' - it may have been 'specially prepared' to pass muster?
Imperial7823E002.jpg

Atticus

Hi Jason,

Yes, perhaps I was a bit too harsh on our Imperials. Here's "Old Bessie", my 1976-rank-cowhide, flock-of-seagulls-squeaking G-1. I was out in the pasture the other day, and asked her to pause from chewing her cud long enough for me to snap this shot.

Truthfully, those old jackets don't look too bad from five or so feet away. And they are built like tanks. I wear mine on the boat and when it is raining---a true beater.

DSCN0507-1.jpg

AF

Maverickson

Atticus said:
Appears to be 1984.

You know, I sorta have my own personal theory about G-1 quality. I think the old ones were the best. When I say old, I mean D-series and older. I think the mid-seventies were the worst. They were made of thick, creaky cowhide. They weighed a ton and were stiff as plywood. Indeed, the 1976 Imperial Leather G-1 may represent the very bottom of this quality curve. Finally, I think that G-1 quality increased after the 1978 blackout. I have a 1992 Cooper that is made from fantastic, grainy goatskin and is a very well constructed jacket---a daily wearer for me.

So I'm thinking your 1984 RE could turn out to be a very good find.

By the way, the "84" in DLA100-84-C-0/71 is the date of manfacture.

AF

Yes, I also own an Imperial Leather G-1 which was left to me by my late father. When I purchased it for him in July of 1979 I had no idea that I was purchasing a low end G-1 flight jacket. Back in the day, I was thinking about finding a reasonable facsimile to replace the jacket he had lost and get it to him on his retirement day. I still remember coming out of that Army/Navy store in Portsmouth Virginia happy as a lark for one finding a G-1 that would fit him and or just the fact to have found a flight jacket at all! All things considered at that time there was no internet to facilitate finding hardly anything that remotely resembled a decent mil spec filght jacket at all.

DSCN0519.jpg

It is true that this jacket may be heavy, made of cowhide and sport a cheap synthetic faux mouton collar but this G-1 jacket surely remains my most favorite. To this day, I still have not attached all of father's naval aviation career related patches that will eventually reside on this jacket. Someday on this old warrior's front and back side there will be twenty three patches in all.

I look forward to featuring this G-1 when it is completed.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks to all for the answer to my question.Rgds Jeff

Marv

Here's a couple of pics of my 1968 Martin Lane G1 - lovely buttery goatskin with lots of enhanced grain not that you can tell from these pics......

G1a.jpg

G1.jpg

MouseVF1

How bizarre ! thought you been in my house at first. Very similar, my 1959 G1 Martin Lane. I bought it for £60 at a junk shop (white door and wooden hanger was extra) with no zip or cuffs, treated the leather with pecards inside and out, washed the lining and sent it to Aero leather for new zip, cuffs and waistband (they only do the older version waistband) Its now a great jacket that I wear a lot.

018.jpg

019.jpg

026.jpg

Clive

rpmooreii

H Clive,

Your Martin Lane is from 1969 not 1959. Martin Lane did not make 7823(aer) jackets which is what was produced in 1959. Rather you jacket is a D series from '69. Just thought you would want to know.

...Roger