• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1s: how do Flight Apparel Industries compare to Star Sportswears?

So I’m just beginning to dip my feet in the nautical waters of G-1s and related jackets :).

I’ve tried on Star Sportswears in 38 that fit me perfectly.

Recently I found an “Intermediate Type G-1” by Flight Apparel Industries in impeccable shape for a steal, but I’m hesitant to pull the trigger as I have no clue how it’ll fit by comparison and there are no returns.

Was this a real mil contract mfr? Were they all sized the same? Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks all!

Ok, just did some research and looks like I should hold out for a Star Sportswear. Still I wouldn’t mind opinions. Thanks!

Chandler

I had a FAI A-2 back in the mid '80s -- paper-thin leather, weird knits, wonky zip. Not recommended.

And no, not an original contract manufacturer of any issue jackets, IIRC. I bought mine from an ad in the back of a flight history magazine.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Chandler is giving you good info . The Star is most likely an original USN issued G-1 jacket . Not so with the Flight Apparel jacket. If you’re new to this hobby I suggest that everything being equal you go for the original USN jacket as it will slowly go up in value over time and it’s the real deal not a repro . Others may disagree but that’s my advice.