• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1Flight Jacket with patch from USS Sea Fox

sdelaneysc

Hi, I am new here & have been reading up on the G-1 flight jackets. I recently found one with a leather patch on the left chest with the person’s name, etc. from the U.S.S. Sea Fox submarine. First I was curious as to why someone would donate such a special jacket & second, what the value would be. I see many G-1s of the same era, but have not seen one with the patch. Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 120

Erwin

Very nice find, this patch makes the jacket an interesting historical artifact. I'm sure you will not find another one with provenance to USS Sea Fox (SS 402) so easily. Patch makes this jacket interesting....How much did you pay for this G1?

Hi, I am new here & have been reading up on the G-1 flight jackets. I recently found one with a leather patch on the left chest with the person’s name, etc. from the U.S.S. Sea Fox submarine. First I was curious as to why someone would donate such a special jacket & second, what the value would be. I see many G-1s of the same era, but have not seen one with the patch. Thanks in advance for any info!
Value of a size 44 Edwards 7823C to me would be worth $500-$800. A 7823C is from early 60's and will have normally good leather, bi-directional waistband, the left cuff is likely a little frayed, the fur is real mouton which changed later with the 7823D, behind the collar will be 7 lines of horizontal stitching, the inside pocket lining will be cotton twill not nylon as on the 7823D, the property mark will be USN in perforations on the windflap. So, nice wearable jacket.

B-Man2

Interesting that a flight jacket ended up patched with a Submarine patch. Does the patch look to be from the same time period as the jacket ? Or could it have been sewn on at a more recent time ?

I just looked at the photos. The waistband and cuffs have been replaced with non-standard knits. Revising my value estimate to $200-$300, as a good wearable jacket in a usable size.

Spitfireace

The C is a nice jacket, I have one myself. This one needs to have the knits replaced. If everything else is original like zip and can't really see the collar in this pic. It's a five hundred dollar jacket if the knits are changed to original and the zip works and the collar is good. Liner forgot to mention.

sdelaneysc

Very nice find, this patch makes the jacket an interesting historical artifact. I'm sure you will not find another one with provenance to USS Sea Fox (SS 402) so easily. Patch makes this jacket interesting....How much did you pay for this G1?
The ladies at our local Salvation Army had no idea of its value, so I got it for a steal. I checked the crew list for D. O. Miller & found a Donald Miller who was a crew member in 1952.

sdelaneysc

Interesting that a flight jacket ended up patched with a Submarine patch. Does the patch look to be from the same time period as the jacket ? Or could it have been sewn on at a more recent time ?
I’m not sure how to tell, but here is a picture of the patch stitching on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 94

sdelaneysc

The C is a nice jacket, I have one myself. This one needs to have the knits replaced. If everything else is original like zip and can't really see the collar in this pic. It's a five hundred dollar jacket if the knits are changed to original and the zip works and the collar is good. Liner forgot to mention.
Thanks for your reply. The zipper works & im attaching a photo of the lining. It has white paint spots, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1660.jpeg
    IMG_1660.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 87

sdelaneysc

Value of a size 44 Edwards 7823C to me would be worth $500-$800. A 7823C is from early 60's and will have normally good leather, bi-directional waistband, the left cuff is likely a little frayed, the fur is real mouton which changed later with the 7823D, behind the collar will be 7 lines of horizontal stitching, the inside pocket lining will be cotton twill not nylon as on the 7823D, the property mark will be USN in perforations on the windflap. So, nice wearable jacket.
Thanks for the info. It has all the details you mentioned. The cuffs & waistband are in good shape but are the Foldover style.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93

Spitfireace

guy left his jacket on the deck while things were getting painted. I painted lots when I was in the navy. I wasn't a pilot though. Paint holds old ships together it's rumored ... old navy theory.

Spitfireace

I painted part of the ship and an officer came by and he rubbed against the area I just painted and I didn't have the heart to say "sir you just got the paint I just painted on your uniform" wasn't really my fault. I was painting as directed to do so.