• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1

A

Anonymous

What's the best G-1 cheap repro today? (I said cheap, please exclude the hi-end makers)
As "best" consider closer to original patterns.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

fishmeok

G&B? The old Avirex and Willis&Geiger ones turn up now and then too, those are not too bad. I also used to have a Cooper from the '90's that was pretty decent, don't know if they still make that though.
Cheers
Mark

greyhound52

PLATON said:
What's the best G-1 cheap repro today? (I said cheap, please exclude the hi-end makers)

I think for the same price as a repro or less you can get an original that is in decent shape on ebay. There are tons of them.

I have a Cooper that is very good quality. I paid 120.00 for it off Ebay. I've never seen another Cooper with a nice honey color mouton collar like this one before.

100_0007.JPG

rainguy

I have been tracking original G-1s on eBay this past week and there must be a dozen (or more) from the 1970s (Star, Brill Brothers, etc.) in good to excellent shape with great grain that have gone for under $100. There just seems to be a glut of G-1s on there right now. Even some nice, no damage specimens from the 1960s have gone for under $200. You would be much better off snagging one of these vs. paying probably $300 minimum for a repro.

Atticus

Actually, Cooper is a "real" G-1 in that they had a government contract in 1992. And they seem to have been pretty good jackets. At least I have never seen a cowhide Cooper.

This is an issued Cooper. If I had to guess, I would say that it is one of my two most commonly worn jackets.

airportphotos037.jpg

AF

SpeednAngels

Atticus said:
Actually, Cooper is a "real" G-1 in that they had a government contract in 1992. And they seem to have been pretty good jackets. At least I have never seen a cowhide Cooper.

This is an issued Cooper. If I had to guess, I would say that it is one of my two most commonly worn jackets.

airportphotos037.jpg

AF

Its underdstood that Coopers and Brills from the 80-90s contract models were
all cowhides with the drumm rolled goat effect per spec USNBureau. shucks!

delta102uk

greyhound52 said:
PLATON said:

I think for the same price as a repro or less you can get an original that is in decent shape on ebay. There are tons of them.

....I just picked up this almost new Ralph Edwards G-1 for less than $50 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0317646107

I'm not a fan of the synthetic collar, but I had a 70's RE G-1 a few months ago in a 42 and the quality of the goatskin was great!...the dark synthetic collar seemed to be of a more realistic material too...hopefully this 44" will be a better fit.

Atticus

SpeednAngels said:
Its underdstood that Coopers and Brills from the 80-90s contract models were all cowhides with the drumm rolled goat effect per spec USN Bureau. shucks!

Yes, I have read that specification. But I can also tell the difference between goat skin and rolled cowhide. The jacket in the photo is made of goatskin, regardless of what the specification you reference may lead you to "understand". If you are in the New Bern area sometime, I'll happily allow you to examine the jacket and maybe you can form your own opinion.

AF

Atticus said:
SpeednAngels said:
Its underdstood that Coopers and Brills from the 80-90s contract models were all cowhides with the drumm rolled goat effect per spec USN Bureau. shucks!

Yes, I have read that specification. But I can also tell the difference between goat skin and rolled cowhide. The jacket in the photo is made of goatskin, regardless of what the specification you reference may lead you to "understand". If you are in the New Bern area sometime, I'll happily allow you to examine the jacket and maybe you can form your own opinion.

AF
My Cooper is also most definitely goatskin, and my collar is real mouton too.

SpeednAngels

sealbeachbum said:
Atticus said:
SpeednAngels said:

AF
My Cooper is also most definitely goatskin, and my collar is real mouton too.

Not to anger you Counselor or Sealbeach guy just a word of caution since some of the
drums were actually being run at optimum pressure so I am told it was hard to tell the
diff if they got a hold of some tha Argentine skin and pressed the shinola out of them. I been fooled more than once.
Beach yours is in the trunk! and Counselor yours is just a large size and wont need
further inspection. Your word is good for me. It seems the snaking is easier done with
the smaller jackets easier to pass the fooolery around.
checkmate! fine jackets nonetheless

SpeednAngels

sealbeachbum said:
Beach yours is in the trunk! and Counselor yours is just a large size and wont need
further inspection.
I'm not quite sure what that means but here is the same Cooper goatskin G-1 that I have. http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/big- ... -1046.html

I mean to say yours looks good for a Cooper. the one on the site
are nice but the skins just are too young.. yours lloks like
it was found in an old trunk!!..lol
check six!t

mcqueen

My G-1 was $26 on eBay (Sorry, I've posted this jacket a few time, but here are a few never-before-seen photos). It ain't in museum condition, but I'm a skeezy ol' guy that doesn't mind a little wear.

g1front2.JPG

g1collarflip.JPG

conmar.JPG

Atticus

Here's a couple of more shots of my 1992 Cooper G-1.

The Jacket:

decemberfish002-1.jpg

The spec tag:

decemberfish001-1.jpg

The little tag inside that says what the jacket is made of:

decemberfish003-1.jpg

AF

SpeednAngels

mcqueen said:
My G-1 was $26 on eBay (Sorry, I've posted this jacket a few time, but here are a few never-before-seen photos). It ain't in museum condition, but I'm a skeezy ol' guy that doesn't mind a little wear.

g1front2.JPG

g1collarflip.JPG

conmar.JPG

nice little buy where was everyone else?? hehe