• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 zipper bottom fix?

Steve_23

Hi all. I recently acquired an older Flight Suits Ltd replica of a Buaer G-1 jacket. The jacket fits me pretty much perfect, and is overall in really great shape. I plan on doing a light cleaning to the jacket in the near future. I'll make a post on the jacket overall soon.

The one issue with the jacket is, the bottom of the zipper on one side (see photos below) which makes it a little difficult to zip on occasion. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the breaking/broken part on this zipper? Ideally, I'd fix it, but also any suggestions on how to prevent it from getting any worse would be appreciated.

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

Thanks for the assistance!

B-Man2

Hi all. I recently acquired an older Flight Suits Ltd replica of a Buaer G-1 jacket. The jacket fits me pretty much perfect, and is overall in really great shape. I plan on doing a light cleaning to the jacket in the near future. I'll make a post on the jacket overall soon.

The one issue with the jacket is, the bottom of the zipper on one side (see photos below) which makes it a little difficult to zip on occasion. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the breaking/broken part on this zipper? Ideally, I'd fix it, but also any suggestions on how to prevent it from getting any worse would be appreciated.

View attachment 112139
View attachment 112141
Thanks for the assistance!
When the male end of the zipper starts to pull away from the zipper tape, as it’s doing in your photos, the only sure fix is to install another male side zipper and tape into the jacket. Anything else are just temporary fixes that will eventually end up the same way .

ZuZu

This is a problem common to many of these big zips on the later G-1s. In my experience they still keep working- I'd keep it 'til it breaks.

Erwin

You can try to "transplant" the zipper pin [cut off with zipper tape from another zipper that has the same design, but this requires a patience and basic understanding of how to proceed with this]. Based on the pictures this is a Conmar #10 zipper and finding/replacing the entire zipper [or as suggested above - replacing zipper tape where the insertion pin is] is super easy. The easiest solution is always zipper replacement.

any suggestions on how to prevent it from getting any worse
Don't zip it or keep the jacket in your wardrobe, any mechanical parts would break at some point when you use it ;). Haven't heard about any magic trick on how to prevent this issue. From my observation, I spotted that usually, insertion pins are exposed to this when the zipper is mounted not too deep and the zipper tape has more space [basis physics always works, longer distance + more force = you stress the pin more, this will always finish with the zipper pin issue after a certain period of time].

Steve_23

Thanks for the information everyone. It seems like zipper replacement is the way to go. Anyone have any suggestions of where/who to have do this? I don't have any first hand experience with any leather shops near by. I live in the Northeast USA, specifically NH.

petermack09

Bew
You can try to stick the tape with some "super glue" or stick a bit of plastic tape with some cyanolit glue but you need to test this method on a piece of zipper tape first. it's just a temporary solution a simple fix but the best will be zipper tape change
Beware, I tried the dab of superglue on my vanson Enfield, zip wasn't even too bad, now I'm changing the male side of the zip, expensive mistake that won't happen again.