• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 quality observation

I was at an antique show today and saw a Brill Bros. G-1 which according to the tag was made in 1975. In comparing it to my Martin lane made in 69 and my other one dated probably between 69 and 71, this one was several steps down in quality. The servil zipper was really wimpy and cheap looking. The leather looked like it was maybe cowhide that had been pressed to resemble goat. Was it common for the G-1s to be of lesser quality around that time period?

BTW they were asking $350. for it. As I was looking at it, the seller was saying it was from the 40s. When I showed her the date on the tag she looked honestly surprised. When I came back later they had marked it down to $85.00 and at the end of the show it still hadn't sold.

fedoralover

greyhound52

You are correct in your observation. I really saw a decline in the quality of G-1s after 1971. My 69 Martin Lane is a fantastic jacket and it appears it went down hill from there.

Well, thats good info to know if one is going to buy off ebay. You wouldn't be able to really tell from a pic. There seems to be a lot of G-1s on ebay right now, some going fairly cheap.

fedoralover

Atticus

But let me add this caveat to the commets above. Cooper produced some excellent jackets in their 1992 contract. I have one from that contract and I've seen several others. The quality of the goatskin on these G-1s rivals that of the old sixties jackets. Of course their collars are still dynal, but their overall quality is far above the 1970s, heavy-cowhide jackets.

AF

Atticus said:
But let me add this caveat to the commets above. Cooper produced some excellent jackets in their 1992 contract. I have one from that contract and I've seen several others. The quality of the goatskin on these G-1s rivals that of the old sixties jackets. Of course their collars are still dynal, but their overall quality is far above the 1970s, heavy-cowhide jackets.

AF

That's what I love about this forum, the collective knowledge and experience shared here helps one to stay informed about the good, the bad and the ugly.

fedoralover

rpmooreii

Most of the 70s and later G-1s are pretty poor comparisons to the earlier jackets but Brill, is in my opinion, the worst of the lot. The leather feels like cardboard... no character at all.

...Roger

airfrogusmc

rpmooreii said:
Most of the 70s and later G-1s are pretty poor comparisons to the earlier jackets but Brill, is in my opinion, the worst of the lot. The leather feels like cardboard... no character at all.

...Roger
In my opinion there was a huge decline from the mid 1960s, my Irving Foster C model has incredible goat, and later 60s D models. My C model had much nicer goat and mouton than both my late 60s D Martin Lane and D Star.

R7000

Atticus,

Did you find the Cooper mil cut to be "big all over?" I wear a 42 normally, have a Cooer 38 G-1, and the thing is big in all directions. It's long, the sleeves can hold Arnold's guns, etc. Bigger than other G-1's I've seen. Is mine a civie cut or does the Cooper MIL cut run big also?

Tom

Atticus said:

AF

Atticus

Hi Tom,

I would say that my Cooper is a modern size 48. While I wouldn't call it huge, it is marginally larger than any of my C, D, and E series jackets, all of which are also size 48.

AF

Curahee

I have 3 G-1's 1948-1954-1967 and there's defintely a decline in quality. My Pritzker 55J14 is the best quality followed by the L.W. Foster 7823(AER) the Gregory Sportswear 7823D with the clunky zipper it's not a bad jacket but you can see the difference it has more of a mass production feel to it compared to the earlier jackets.

You can find good 64' 7823C jackets for very reasonable prices, maybe they need a little work but that's worth it I think. I almost won a bidding on a NOS !! Ralph Edwards 7823C dated 1964. (also see posting on vintage section)

Peter Graham

There's a marked decline in quality between my Foster AN-J-3a and my Aviators Clothing 55J14 in materials, workmanship and cut. Surprising, as they are only a few years apart.