• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 Fit

FtrPlt

I'm considering adding a G-1 as a winter flying jacket and am looking for opinions as to size -- i.e. do they run big, small, etc?

eBay has a slew of used, original jacket. I just need to figure out if I need a size 40 or 42?

Is MIL-J-7823E(AS) 1971 where the cowhide jackets appear or is this just the start of the synthetic collars? I'm a bit confused on the lineage as several folks appear to have 1990s Cooper contracts in goat/synthetic collars.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
FtrPlt said:
do they run big, small, etc?

Yes ... they can vary either way, it's safer to ask for measurements, and hope that they're correct.

Is MIL-J-7823E(AS) 1971 where the cowhide jackets appear or is this just the start of the synthetic collars?

The 7823E jackets can be found in both cowhide, and goat, but if you're selecting from this series, there's a better than even chance it will be cow.

Roughwear

The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 onwards and as David says cowhide was used much more often then goatskin. So if you want a goatskin G-1 a pre-1969 contract would be a safe bet. They can be picked up for very reasonable prices on Ebay, but as there was great variation in the sizes for jackets with the same tagged size always ask for the measurements. Good luck in your search.

kevlarg

I have a 1968 Brill Brothers G-1. The fit is trim for sure. It would not accommodate much of a gut if I had one. That being said the bi-swing back makes it a very comfortable jacket. The sleeves and shoulders don't raise up when I sit down or reach for things like they do on my A2. That could also have something to do with the goatskin vs. the ancient horsehide though.

Personally I perfer the russett mouton collars of the pre-69's over the synthetic dark brown dynafur.

Good luck on your hunt. G-1's are cool jackets and much easier and cheaper to get your hands on than vintage A-2's.

Also while the lining isn't really much more substantial on a G-1 than an A-2 the fur collar flipped up against your neck will keep you surprisingly warm.

Roughwear

FtrPlt said:
Gents:
Thanks for both your replies.

I found this entry at Wikipedia listing the various specs and makers. Interesting reading but since I know zip about G-1s, I have no idea how accurate any of the info is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-1_military_flight_jacket

The best source for info on the G-1 is Full Gear, a Japanese publication. It has information on all the contracts. John Chapman's Flight Jacket CD is excellent for multiple pictures of jackets from many contracts.

dadgad

The G-1 is a less complicated jacket to wear compared to the A-2, I'm a pure 42 and with just a t.shirt or a shirt underneath I can easily wear a 40.
I noticed that often there is not much of a difference in the shoulder span from a 40 to a 42 what makes the real difference is the pit to pit measurement.

Atticus

Roughwear said:
The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 onwards and as David says cowhide was used much more often then goatskin. So if you want a goatskin G-1 a pre-1969 contract would be a safe bet. They can be picked up for very reasonable prices on Ebay, but as there was great variation in the sizes for jackets with the same tagged size always ask for the measurements. Good luck in your search.
Andrew, I think the E-jackets didn't begin until 1971 or 1972...depending on the maker. All of the 1969 and 1970 G-1s are D-series. For example, my '71 Star is a D; my 72 Star is an E. My 1970 Brill is a D.

AF

Roughwear

Atticus, I have just checked Full Gear and Yes I was wrong. I used information from JC's CD which said the E series began in 1969. The first E series G-1 was a Brill Bros contract from 1971.

arclight

FtrPlt;

I would say the 1971 date would be factual for the turnover to synthetic collars, but not for the change to cowhide from goatskin.

I've seen and handled many goatskin jackets since 1971 from DoD suppliers.

Regards, arclight

Atticus

Actually, dynal collars appeared in the middle of 1969 during the later D-series runs.

I think cowhide use was at its zenith in the mid-seventies. Most early E jackets that I've seen were goat. Many post-ban jackets were goat....my 1992 Cooper for example. But the '75, '76 and '77 G-1s were thick, squeaky, heavy cowhide.

As to fit...every G-1 I've worn has been very trim in the gut. I don't like tight clothing, so I've learned that I need a size larger in G-1s than what I normally wear in civilian jackets.

AF

jack aranda

For me, the fit of a G-1 is in the shoulders. A size 42, my normal fit, is too tight; I bump to a 44 if I'm buying a G-1. At the moment, I have a 1972 Ralph Edwards, creaks-like-cowhide, dynal-collared size 42 that j-u-u-s-t fits. As we post, I'm having one of Atkins fine patches put on. Pics when I get it back from the leather shop. Bottom line: you'll probably want to go up one size to get a good fit in a G-1, if you are buying a military-issue jacket.

Marv

I have a 1968 Martin Lane co G1 with the russet mouton collar and it's definately goat - it's labled as a size 46" but fits more like a comfortable 44".
It is a definate wearer after I have made a small repair to the zipper tape at the slider box and also need to give the g/s and rub down with soapy water then maybe a coat of pecards but apart from that it is in very good condition.

It's labled up with the VQ-04 on the back of the jacket.........