• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 dilemma

Chevalier

Hello!

I am hoping I can benefit from the collective wisdom here. I have an Irvin Foster G-1 that I have posted about here in an earlier thread. Dena at Great Leather did a really nice job replacing the knits and stabilizing the mouton collar. The jacket is a 7823B G-1.

Because you never stop looking, I have found another jacket that caught my eye;) It is a Pritzker&Sons 55J14. It is a bit of a little lost puppy with a broken zipper and tatty knits. The cost to buy the jacket is really reasonable, but I think the repair bill would be pretty high.

I buy my G-1s to wear because I really like the look of the jacket. I wish I had the space for a G-1 collection, but not yet. Is the Pritzker&Sons a better example of the G-1 to have? Is it worth repairing? I think I have narrowed down the date range of the 55J14 to late 40s, which appeals to me.

Thanks in advance for experiences and opinions.

917_k

55J14 G-1s are pretty rare, they’re the first of the postwar G-1 series, replacing the wartime M422A. So, if the price is right and the leather is decent (as you highlight, knits, zip and collar can be repaired, leather can’t) then it might be worth getting. I’ve got one which I’ve never worn, but do really like these earlier G-1s.

Chevalier

Thanks for the advice @917_k & @mulceber! I will take a close look at the goatskin for any signs of decay to the leather before I buy. My Foster is a size 44, which may be slightly too big for me in that contract/style. If the fit on the Pritzker&Sons is better and the leather is in good condition, it might tip things in favor of buying it.

JonnyCrow

I agree with @917_k. The one thing I'd add is something about the goatskin that was used on the 55J14 series wasn't very good, as that whole series is VERY prone to red rot. That doesn't mean the one you've encountered is, but it's really common. Personally, I'd pass.
Yeah I agree, rot is permanent and a one way street, happens to old leather book covers