• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1: Any to avoid? Any contracts desirable?

SteveN

Hi Folks, and happy new year to most of you.

I recently posted an idea of turning one of my M422A's into an ANJ-3, and was rightly convinced that's not a good idea. So, I'm going to move them on to a collector who can treat them properly. I need something I can wear daily, and when reviewing the buy/sell section saw a G-1 for USD $125 that sold a while back. At that price, I can live with a fur collar.

Are there any years contracts / years to avoid? Any contracts that are considered better than others?

London Cabbie

AVI LTHR MFG https://www.avileather.com/product/g1-flight-jacket/

Eastman G-1 55j14

Vintage L.W. Foster G-1

Brettafett

Generally its agreed that quality is best the earlier you go.. Buts thats still relative.
Patterns are all over the place, so is fit. Personally, Id focus on anything black label, pre-70s... But fit is king.

Now, let me just say... I just received my AVI M-422A and Im well impressed. No, its not perfect, but its great! (quick pics coming in a few mins... reviewed in due course)
I'm sure if you contact Moten at AVI LTHR, you could request an M-422A or G-1 without a fur collar at no extra cost. They are 'open' to slight modifications.

I can attest to AVI's 55J14 G-1... As a decent quality repro, that fits well and has all the right bits in all the right places at a very good price. The current version has better knits than the first iteration.

Originals are of course of serious consideration and worth looking into. And there are varying opinions, most will recommend an original and be done with it.
If you can find one in your size, at the right price, in decent condition... you win.

Just be aware... Cleaning (if you dont like someone else's smokey jacket, or decades of sweat and musky odours) is tricky and not cheap done properly.
Replacing knits, zipper, lining or mouton and/ or other bits is very expensive if done properly... Ive been down this road with regret.

SteveN

Ah, I see. So there's a continuum of prices from the M422 through the modern contracts, plus the normal price variations due to fit and condition. Makes sense.

When was the switch from goat to cow hide? The Wikipedia page for the G-1 just says 'later' versions are cow.

Spitfireace

I agree with Brett. Look for a black label on the jacket. These are pre-1970. The leather was changed to cow approximately 1969 and the collar went to Dynal nylon. Depends on the maker, but the black label ones are the most desirable. I was looking on E-bay the other day and there are not that many to see right now. The older ones are going for a lot more money than Lorenzo was offering his jacket for, and they need work. His is an exception to the rule. I would think finding one here for a fair price is a better option.

Spitfireace

Also best to spend the extra money on something that is in good shape rather than buying a "fixer upper" as you may spend more money restoring it than it is worth. Also been down that road.

SteveN

May I ask what size G-1 jacket you’re looking for ?
I'm normally around a 40, and that's what both of my M422's are. In anticipation of buying a repo I took measurements:

Shoulders: 43.5"
Chest: 36.5"
Waist: 36"

Those are my measurements, so the jacket would need to be somewhat larger.

B-Man2

I'm normally around a 40, and that's what both of my M422's are. In anticipation of buying a repo I took measurements:

Shoulders: 43.5"
Chest: 36.5"
Waist: 36"

Those are my measurements, so the jacket would need to be somewhat larger.
Hi
I thought I might be able to help you out with a G-1 jacket, but all of mine are size 46s and 48s which would be a little big on you ….,Sorry .