• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fur Collars

SteveN

I've got a dilemma. That is, I've got two M422As in original, perfect condition. One I bought here, from John Lever, ages ago, and at the time there was a thread debating whether or not it was some kind of repo (it's not -- I found the outline of a patch after looking closely).

The dilemma is I don't particularly like the fur collar for daily wear. To me, it shouts: 'guy wants to be seen as military', whereas the A1/A2 jackets seem to project a 'cool' civilian look that's not out of place a bit in the modern fashion world.

My first thought is an ANJ-3 repo, but that's going to be $1000+. The M422a is worth maybe $600 or so, and replacing it's collar (if possible) with an ANJ-3 style one would be cheaper, and I'd get to wear an almost authentic war time jacket, with great leather etc. But, I hate to molest such a good specimen. Weird market when originals are cheaper than repos.

I'd love some opinions here. Am I the only one that thinks this way about the fur collars?

warguy

I love the look of the Navy jackets with fur collars personally. There have been plenty of civilian knock offs of this jacket over the yers. For me, it doesn’t scream more military than the A2, but that’s just my opinion I guess. More than anything though, I wouldnt change up an original M422A in the spirit of the history of it. It’s a historical artifact, and there are just so many of those jackets remaining in the condition you describe.

917_k

Personally I’d never ever damage an original like that. And secondly, I think the fur collars look great, far more comfortable in my opinion than the leather collar on an A-2. Like others have said, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks. Some people maybe think I look like a top-gun wannabe or something when I go out in a G-1, but it’s a way better made and more interesting jacket than most of the crap other people wear.

MikeyB-17

I have no problem with fur collars. It seems to me that fur-collared B-10 and B-15 lookalikes are all over the high street. Personally I would not remove a collar from a nice original. If I wasn’t keen on it, I’d move it on and put the money towards something I did like.

Brettafett

I wouldn't mess with an original, unless its necessary, and/ or you're refurbishing it to its former glory.

Id say wear what you have, as it is... Or if you want an A-2 and need to finance it, sell one or both and get something you will WANT to wear.

SteveN

I wouldn't mess with an original, unless its necessary, and/ or you're refurbishing it to its former glory.

Id say wear what you have, as it is... Or if you want an A-2 and need to finance it, sell one or both and get something you will WANT to wear.
Agreed, this is probably the best advice. 2 original M442A's just might make enough for 1 ANJ-3 repo.

mulceber

Please do not convert an M-422A into an AN-J-3. You'll just end up ruining an increasingly rare, wearable piece of history. If you don't see yourself wearing them, sell one or both of them and use the money to buy an A-2. John Chapman's jackets come up for sale every week on the Fedora Lounge. You could get a great one with no wait. But please don't damage those jackets.

johnwayne

I’m with the don't mess with it team!
Agree too I think you might regret it later as well as devalue it if you subsequently ever try to move it on as a hybrid? I’ve only got G1’s cos I couldn’t find an M422/a in my price bracket at the time - its WWII likely connections attracted me more than a G1 albeit mine are 50’s so not far removed from its earlier type.
Never considered however what I may come across as to others when wearing said G1’s - they are ‘plain Janes’ so doubt I’ll ever been looked upon as a Tom Cruise wannabe, too tall and too old for starters!!!

tda003

I have an AN-J3 repro in excess of my needs. It is a Gibson & Barnes repro in a size 42. The repros didn't sell well and are somewhat rare. I have posted pics and measurements in an earlier post under "AN-J3?" Happy to do a swap in that works out for you.

Lord Flashheart

I'd echo what others have said. They aren't making any more original M-422A so moving that on and getting what you really want is the best option. But life is too short so if you don't like fur collars "crack on" ... and I'll admit I spent many years thinking the fur collar looked naff even though I reckoned the design beat the A-2 with it's bi-swing as a pilots jacket. But turning the collar up against a cold easterly wind changed my mind. It's a great early winter/spring jacket round here. No one will mistake me for Tom Cruise and I don't care if they do or what they think about my jacket. Everything in its season.