• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fully painted jacket

bombs away

Hello,

A friend of mine has just sent me these pictures of an A-2 he could have bought from a professional seller in Belgium in 2008. He finally left it, to expensive :eek:

3 questions :
Have you ever seen such heavy painting on a jacket ?
What do you think about it (original paintings or not ?) ?
I'm sure I have already seen this jacket before... but where I can't remember ? May be someone here could know ?

4332794720_ed12e7c499_b.jpg

4332056739_4576d0992d_b.jpg

4332795608_57ff67b8dd.jpg

Tim.

Mac

Interesting jacket. I vaguely recall seeing a picture of something like that. Could the extensive paint job been to mask prior painting on the jacket?

havocpaul

I would go out on a limb and say that's not original wartime painting. The Donald Duck looks like it is based on a USN patch not AAF. Never seen anything like it and I don't like it either!

bombs away

I don't like it either. :evil:

It looks like there was something else painted at another period (see yellow bombs on the top of the back or some yellow paint over the left pocket).
The letters of "homeward angel" are made with a stencil and are under the yellow bombs.

And about the informations on the original owner :
the tour of operations looks very long for 35 missions (one year and a 4 months)
the 466th bomb group flew B-24 (not B-17) and began its missions in march 1944 ! The owner is supposed to have started his missions in 1943... :evil:
...but it's true that they were based at Attlebridge.

I don't know if this jacket is still in Belgium today.

Tim.

Lignemaginot

While Certain Air Crew may have been permitted to sport some art work on their jackets while in service, I simply can't imagine that anyone would be allowed to walk around in that thing in-theater.

Therefore, my opinion is that this would certainly have had to have been done post-war and post-service. How long post-war, I don't know. I also understand that the artwork on many jackets was done post mission, but one can at least imagine that it was done while the person was in service.

rob75IT

Hi
I know this jacket.
I've been after this jacket in 2003 wile I was living in Germany.
The jacket was listed on the ebay few times, I was 2 times the maximum bidder but reserve no meet. I contacted both times the seller (in Belgium) asking for a direct offer but no answer both times.
I remember the price was around 450$ at that time (reserve no meet)