• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fried Ostermann M445a Contract # Help

aerob6girl

You gentlemen might hate me for this. I may have even posted about this years ago, but I took a look at my all time favorite vintage flight jacket and realized I have little to no information on it. It's a Fried Ostermann M445a authentic ww2 contract. Here's the tricky part. The tag contract states 1405-a from what I can tell. Can anyone give me information about this amazing jacket? It's in incredible condition (pictures coming soon, promise.) the arms are still stiff, and the leather supple - as well as the shearling super soft and without a single flaw. Guys, surely you must be able to tell me some good things about this jacket. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Laurin

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
aerob6girl said:
The tag contract states 1405-a from what I can tell. Can anyone give me information about this amazing jacket?

NXS 1405 A ...... 1943 contract.

Guys, surely you must be able to tell me some good things about this jacket.

It looks nice, and it's very warm. :)

aerob6girl

I'm still in awe of how well it's held up after all this time. The arms are still stiff with the diamond (horsehide?) patches on top of the arms. Any extra info on that? What I gathered is that the former owner was a Catalina pilot during the war..other than that, I have absolutely nothing. No docs, etc. Any further info on the reinforced sleeves?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
.... and if you don't tell, I've stolen this from John's CD.

The M-445A series of jackets superceded the M-445. They are quite similar to the Army Air Force AN-J-4, which was made around the same timeframe in WWII. The jacket can be seen with two designs, one like the older M-455, and one like the M-445B series. The details of the older jackets are that there's no goatskin belt around the waistline, the wind flap is sheepskin rather than goatskin, the sleeves often have diamond-shaped goatskin reinforcement, and the zipper spans the length of the front, rather than stopping short and having buttons at the bottom.

Yours should be the first type, the second version was also made under this Ostermann contract, and labelled EXT.A.

aerob6girl

I agree it's the first type, there is no EXT following the contract number and the diamond reinforcements are what make this beauty a bear to even think about wearing. I certainly wouldn't think of selling it any time soon, but what's the market value on a jacket like this?

aerob6girl

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's my thoughts: that jacket looks odd to me because of the cuffs and reinforcements. The "reinforcements" on the aforementioned jacket are squared off which says to me it may be a later model jacket - as well, the turned up cuffs are a serious alert to me. I have inside knit cuffs on my jacket. I realize I'll need to post a good assortment of photos for you gentlemen to take a look at - but at the same, something seems off about that jacket.

Also, the shearling lining looks FAR too clean to be 60+ years old. Then again, I am NO expert and it could be super bright lighting. But to compare the details on my jacket and this one - mine has inside knits and definitive diamond reinforced hide patches on both sleeves that do not square off. The shearling is properly age colored and there is no weird outside cuff thing going on.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
aerob6girl said:
The "reinforcements" on the aforementioned jacket are squared off which says to me it may be a later model jacket - as well, the turned up cuffs are a serious alert to me.

Yes, it's the second version, so like EXT.A, or the M445B. It should have the knitted inside cuffs, but I guess they were removed if worn. Folding back the cuffs is probably not unusual, as the Ostermann pattern was long in the sleeve.

dujardin

hello Laurin,

we are a good number here enjoynig Navy jacket....

WE WANT PICS ..... WE WANT PICS
;) :lol: ;) :lol:

BYEEEEEEEEEE MARCEL