• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foster Sportswear AN-J-3a

Peter Graham

Apologies if I've posted pics of this jacket before, I can't remember, but with all the interest in US Navy jackets I thought I would post them anyway. I bought this jacket about two years ago in just about unissued condition although the moths had been at the knits. After careful thought I decided to have Aero replace them as although it was still wearable the tatty knits took away from the look of the jacket. I'm glad I did. This is the most comfortable leather jacket I own. It's had two years hard wear and is just starting to develop some real character. The goatskin is super supple and nicely grainy. Pecards has never been near this jacket and it certainly doesn't need it. Curiously for an AN-J-3a it has USN stencilled under the collar as opposed to the usual US.
anj3a008.jpg

anj3a002-1.jpg

anj3a003.jpg

anj3a001-1.jpg

anj3a005.jpg

anj3a006.jpg

anj3a007.jpg

anj3a009.jpg

bazelot

it's a fake peter!!!! I can give you $30 for it just to get it off your hands! :D
Seriously though it's a beauty. I have a G&F M-422A that is in the same condition with mint original knits. I love it. I wear it all the time so i know how you feel. Those are keepers.

MikeyB-17

Damn fine jacket Peter-I must get another Navy jacket soon, and I've always wanted a wartime one-one like that (in my size) would do me very nicely.

Chandler

Interesting that it's an "AN" jacket, yet they still stenciled the USN on the collar!

Chandler

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
Interesting that it's an "AN" jacket, yet they still stenciled the USN on the collar!

The Foster was a late contract, the last of the AN-J-3a/AN6552 series, and came with an USN, or US stencil.

All the other contracts are prefixed N288S ... the Foster is N383S, as are all the 55J14 contracts.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
deeb7 said:
... the Foster is N383S, as are all the 55J14 contracts.

Wasn't the 55J14 nomenclature used on the first G-1s?

Chandler

Yes .... that's right.

The next known contract after Peter's L.W. Foster is N383S 5299 55J14(AER) Burjac Sportswear Inc, also with USN stencil.