• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Jacket

Smithy

Possibly more correct but I sort of fancy the one I have my eyes set on. I'm not period correct, I'm only 37! LOL

That's fine. I knew a fellow back home who had a Blower Bentley replica and used to roar around in it wearing an ALC irvin. He cut quite the dash in it!

B-Man2

Possibly more correct but I sort of fancy the one I have my eyes set on. I'm not period correct, I'm only 37! LOL
Well .. it seems like you’re determined to drop some big bucks on a jacket in spite of some low cost options we’ve suggested . And that’s fine … most of us have found that if you don’t buy exactly what you want in the beginning you will be buying and selling jackets until you eventually go back and buy that one special jacket that you wanted in the first place …. So good luck with your future purchase and show us some photos when you get it .

Fe6319

I'm open and apriciate all options and take on board looking for a good used jacket, but as said I think if I don't get what I want, style wise at least. I'll end up buying again in the none to distant future, done that with other purchases in the past. Flying helmets is a good example, I must have 5 or 6 of them, each were bargains so I thought, none were comfortable or quite right. So added together they were similar price or more than the one I got in the end and find comfortable.

I spend similar money on footwear, and people say that's a lot of money, but over the years I own them and the use I get from them it's actually a good buy. That's how I tell myself I can spend the money anyway.

Still great full for all ideas and opinions none the less.

Smithy

Yup, what Burt says.

We're mostly concerned with historical accurate flying jackets here but I used to knock around in the classic car crowd back home so know why things like ALC are so popular with them.

Buy what you want and like and do a couple of hillclimbs whilst wearing it. You're guaranteed to have a grin like a Cheshire cat doing it ;)

Fe6319

This is my hat. I don't expect it to be a genuine design. But it's very soft comfy and warm. Gloves and goggles are at my old man's house, so can't photo them just at the moment.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_191541.jpg
    IMG_20240205_191541.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240205_191524.jpg
    IMG_20240205_191524.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21

bn1966

Book an appointment to visit Eastmans in Devon … you will thank me but your bank balance won’t :)

bn1966

If I needed another shearling I’d seriously consider one of these. Eastman also have a customers classified section for used jackets.

ShanghaiJack

I too own 1930s cars and motorcycles. And playing Era correct dress up to enhance ones driving
experience is a ton of fun.

As for the noggin, Five Star makes an excellent reproduction 1920's/30's leather helmet.

https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/fivestar-leather-repro-1930s-air-associates-flying-helmet

I bought a few last year, and they well exceeded my expectation. They fit true to size, and are dead-on
accurate for the Era.

The goggles that I bought, though not period correct, are WhatPriceGlory reproductions
of the AN6530. It appears that they're out of production now, but they are showing a
1938 Resistol goggle that will work.

https://www.whatpriceglory.com/products/4014-us-m1938-resistol-tanker-goggles/

And Eastman makes the Brooklands Motoring Coat.

https://www.eastmanleather.com/civilian-aviation-design-classics/251-brooklands-motoring-coat.html

I don't own an Eastman Brookland, but... Maybe I should. :p

B-Man2

Can you tell a bit what's not so accurate on this version?
Hi Enigma
It really is a good robust heavy jacket but as far as authenticity, I can point out a couple of things on it that really stand out, but others who are more familiar with the Warings or Irvin jacket will have to help me out. First off let me post a good photo of it .
IMG_0602.jpeg

First the fleece trim around the sleeves and waist is too wide and could be trimmed down making it less wide looking . Next the depth of fleece is much deeper than an original. Nothing you can do about it unless you shave the fleece down which would be very difficult if not impossible . The hides are very nice and with time should age nicely . The buckle is small and does not look accurate to my eye. Just a general comment . The jacket is well worth the money but for accuracy minded among us , it’s over built .

Original Warings for comparison but a 1942 Model ELC might be a better comparison
IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2475.jpeg

ELC 1942 Irvin

Last edited:

Smithy

Sleeve shape on the SB is not like originals. On the SB it's tubular (unsurprisingly like Aeros had before they revamped their patterns).