• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Jacket

Fe6319

So, I used to have a 1920's car which had a lightweight aluminum body and a lot of period upgrades which made it go twice as quick as it did originally. Interesting and exciting but terribly unreliable.

Anyway due to it being low slung and the lack of windscreen etc, I bought goggles, a lovely pair of brown leather sheep skin lined gauntlets and a similar leather flying helmet. I tried on a lovely flying jacket, reproduction and new and I was very tempted. The 900 pound price tag was too much for me having spent a few hundred on gloves and helmet already.

I've longed for a nice leather flying jacket to keep me warm and to be worn with my hat on bitter cold days.

Does anyone have any advice of what to look at, how much to spend and where to buy from?

Complete novice here with no knowledge... Yet.

Regards

Micawber

The focus here is on faithful reproductions of military issue jackets [mainly US] so advice is going to be slanted in that direction. BUT if you want a jacket to stay warm and have a vintage look there are several UK suppliers of jackets similar to the Irvin jacket of the Second World War but be warned prices are going to be unless you buy secondhand - and some remarkably little used examples can be had this way. For new you could look at Aero Leather, Aviation Leathercraft, Cirrus [not highly rated now], Bespoke Aviator Jacket Company.

For accurate reproduction of military sheepskin jackets Aero leather military range, Eastman Leather Co - but they are going to be expensive.

Buying outside of the UK is now very expensive due to import duties and increasing shipping costs.

Hope this helps.

Fe6319

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I posted in the right catagory, but couldn't see one that suited better. Sorry if I have posted wrongly.

I really apriciate some leads of makes, I have something to search for and read up on.

I look forward to anyone's oppinons and ideas.

Regards

B-Man2

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I posted in the right catagory, but couldn't see one that suited better. Sorry if I have posted wrongly.

I really apriciate some leads of makes, I have something to search for and read up on.

I look forward to anyone's oppinons and ideas.

Regards
Here’s your problem as I see it .
You have a really cool vintage car. And some period gloves and flight helmet …… that’s a look that you’ve got to carry thru with. Now as Micawber explained we here are into accurate period reproduction flight jackets which can be very expensive,BUT …. That’s not something you need to carry thru with the complete period look …. You could certainly get by with a jacket that looks the part but is not an accurate period reproduction for a lot less cost …..it would be acceptable for your purposes, and there’s a lot of them around. Check the archives of this forum and you will see that you don’t have to spend £1000s to find something that looks good and works for you .

Dumpster D

Let's see a photo of your Goggles, gloves etc...and especially your car!!! Then I could recommend the proper Jacket. (if you're looking to upload photos, I found this forum will allow you to 'click and drag' images into the text box, which makes it very easy)

If you want a decent Jacket with a price tag that doesn't put you out of pocket, you must be patient, save up, and commit...Look for a Used Jacket, that's the way to go. I honestly think it's worth the extra cost for a Jacket that ain't no everyday ordinary Jacket, it's an investment that will last. You'll be getting something that is absolutely worlds above anything else currently available in todays market.

It may seem like spending a lot, but honestly you pay for what you get.

This place is an invaluable resource of knowledge to learn more about reproduction Jacket makers as well as originals, and where find some other reproductions items that are a little more obscure and limited.

There's lots of different makers producing all kinds of awesome flight jackets, it will take some time to dig and research a little.

Last edited:

Chandler

You could certainly get by with a jacket that looks the part but is not an accurate period reproduction for a lot less cost …..it would be acceptable for your purposes, and there’s a lot of them around.
Perhaps a 1990 Avirex-Cockpit B-3? :p

I never did wear it in my '91 MX-5, but it would have worked well had I kept it on the road past October. ;)

Pilot

All same age as your car and at a fraction of a real vintage cars cost :-;
IMG_0295.jpeg
IMG_9133.jpeg
IMG_9129.jpeg

Fe6319

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. I'm definateley in no rush and don't mind spending for the right jacket. That said I guess finding out about sizing will be my first obstacle.

Is there anywhere supplying reproduction jackets. That you can visit in the UK?

Lastly I have to disappoint you all, I sold the car to a friend, I've got the gloves, hat and goggles as I still frequent other people's cars. I will sort some pics this evening if I'm home at a decent time.

Regards

Fe6319

Just seen the tutorial for measurements. I'll look at that this evening. Too many things I keep looking at on here.

As a side note, good or bad it felt nice, thus was one of the jackets I tried on whilst in holdens store buying a mirror once. https://www.holden.co.uk/p/holden_aviator_flying_jacket

Funny story, I was on the way to a steam rally and to be honest I wasn't dressed the best, went into holden and they followed me round very suspiciously and we're quite stand off ish. I probably looked homeless, but they hadn't seen what I had turned up in, and was parked away from the store due to size. I assured them I'd got some money with me and when I started spending on parts they warmed to me. But that's prime example of judging a book by the cover..

flyincowboy

The best is try the second hand market you can find a good jacket that is suitable for you without breaking the bank. Friend of mine is in the Hot Rod scene and he found a well made civilian IRVIN repro from ALC for quite cheap..Then he can spendt the money on his dream car.

Southoftheborder

Aviation Leathercraft sell a lot of loosely based Irvin type jackets to open topped drivers in the UK and abroad. Morgans etc. They own the brand name Irvin and are quite fierce about it. Used Cirrus are good value now and are good jackets,

Aero Eastman etc make accurate repros if that's what you want. But the best value right now is Simmonds Bilt. They don't hold their value like ELC or Aero and they always have good deals on their outlet page.

See this one on eBay really cheap for what it is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32598776...dGwF7BSL9DnZFkKsNgdcnw/7c7|tkp:Bk9SR7CusomvYw

Kermit3D

I agree with what has been said about jackets.

Are you talking about a car from the 1920s with an aluminum body ?
Did you mention which car it is ? extremely intriguing !
A cyclecar ? Amilcar ? BSA ? Salmson ? Please tell us more !

If it's an English car, then an Irvin would be great. If I'm not mistaken, the very first Irvin jackets appeared in the late 1920s.

B-Man2

Aviation Leathercraft sell a lot of loosely based Irvin type jackets to open topped drivers in the UK and abroad. Morgans etc. They own the brand name Irvin and are quite fierce about it. Used Cirrus are good value now and are good jackets,

Aero Eastman etc make accurate repros if that's what you want. But the best value right now is Simmonds Bilt. They don't hold their value like ELC or Aero and they always have good deals on their outlet page.

See this one on eBay really cheap for what it is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325987766009?hash=item4be6628ef9:g:4NEAAOSw7~hluUxx&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4M5/IIBiz2988Q57Cnb3NgRWz8U5scJp8bRvqTLy+aJtECBZY38uVAV7/avXGm+Rz4CQmQNdiTUoDiTMb+V1Wkbo2XU8e7kN22t3evmam1fq/0i4vjBu9qRfBPjKYZRi/evKm4T1VioEpaH9AMZnIiH8hNK9UK+iRtobkcnTq7Gp9nuvQCr8VQ/SKtV+qmA6tUaiB58cCngpXocYosIce3vhcHOQjs6d76/50VCeU+7J28w7r5duaRzfcjABTxKZsJ9AXbAmWuxtY3RYWSdGwF7BSL9DnZFkKsNgdcnw/7c7|tkp:Bk9SR7CusomvYw
Just to back up SOB,s comments , I own a Simmons Built Irvin jacket and while not being 100% historically accurate , they are definitely good quality heavy and warm jackets . I called mine “ The Beast” .

IMG_0601.png

Smithy

Aviation Leathercraft are by far and away the most popular with the classic car crowd in the UK. Hardly surprising as they're the same company that do Moto-Lita which are the most popular steering wheels for classic cars in Britain. They do a light weight version which you often see. As mentioned Cirrus made well-made Irvin-inspired jackets but they went bust about 10 years ago, so secondhand is the only option there. Greycar are also popular with the classic car mob. SB would be a good choice for an Irvin inspired jacket.

If you want historical accuracy in an Irvin then Eastman, and then Aero would be the way to go.

Fe6319

Possibly more correct but I sort of fancy the one I have my eyes set on. I'm not period correct, I'm only 37! LOL