• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flightsuits G&B A-2 Info Please

Jaydee

Hey guys, thinking about buying a Historic HH A-2 from G&B. I will probably ask for samples of their Mohogany Russet and Russet Russet horsehide leathers to check out, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about the color and quality of the 2 choices. Also sizing. I wear a size 40 G-1 and flightsuit, so should I get a size 40 A-2 or do they run big? Are their zippers repro originals (Talon, Crown?) or are they generic replicas with no markings? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
-Jay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
Are their zippers repro originals (Talon, Crown?) or are they generic replicas with no markings?

The lighter russet looks good ... can't help with the sizing.

Zippers are heavy duty, nickel YKK.

I had the Mahogany Russet and loved the color! They definitely run big. You will want to go at least one size smaller maybe even two sizes in a tall.

FlyingToastman

Jaydee said:
Hey guys, thinking about buying a Historic HH A-2 from G&B. I will probably ask for samples of their Mohogany Russet and Russet Russet horsehide leathers to check out, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about the color and quality of the 2 choices. Also sizing. I wear a size 40 G-1 and flightsuit, so should I get a size 40 A-2 or do they run big? Are their zippers repro originals (Talon, Crown?) or are they generic replicas with no markings? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
-Jay

This is my Gibson and Barnes A-2.

DSCN0314.jpg

I bought it Fall 2003 and I've worn it (almost daily) ever since.

When I bought it it was roughly a size larger than what I needed...its a 46T but I was also 19 at the time and I grew into it. I would see if a 38 fits you before getting a 40...if you want a more loose fit the 40 might be the better option since those do run large. As for the leather, its the Mahogany HH and it was very simular to the 27753 contract's leather and overall has the flavors of the Roughwear 1401.

I don't regret buying mine at all...I visited Flightsuits back in May 2007 to have my jacket repaired and the gentleman that helped me was very upfront, professional and knew his stuff like the back of his hand. If you live near San Diego its worth the trip to El Cajon. My sole lament about that jacket - after five years of hard wear and abuse it doesn't show character like an Aero A-2 would with different color contrasts etc within the hides but it probably wouldn't have put up with the wear its had othewise.

Its a good jacket and if you get it at the internet price it's even better.

Christos

Jaydee

Thanks again guys for your input. Those Goat A-2s look nice but I already have 4 Goat G-1s, so I want something different with this one. Plus my wife can't stand the smell of goatskin (Lord help me!) I personally love the smell, so I don't understand. :? & :(
-Jay

A

Anonymous

One of the major features of original A-2 and their high end repros is the trim fit.
The G&B fail in this sector. They make jackets for the McDonald's generation. (quote from WPG)

RAYMUNDO

I have seen a lot of pictures from WWII of airmen wearing A-2 jackets and there is no such thing as a trim fit for all. These guys came in all sizes and their jackets fit in many different ways including loose and oversized. G&B jackets are made with a modern fit because most buyers are not 19 years old and 150 lbs. For the money, they are the best buy in the market.

Ray

FlyingToastman

PLATON said:
One of the major features of original A-2 and their high end repros is the trim fit.
The G&B fail in this sector. They make jackets for the McDonald's generation. (quote from WPG)

Well thats not all true...I'm very fond of my dolmathes, souvlaki, sousokakia, baklava, hummus etc. There is very little I care for from McD's... :)

Christos

Jason

Jaydee said:
Are their zippers repro originals (Talon, Crown?) or are they generic replicas with no markings? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
-Jay

They use YKK zippers - so nothing fancy, but a no-fuss reliable zipper all the same.

A

Anonymous

PLATON said:

They do run large. Most folks order a size down. What type of A-2 does WPG make?

Jaydee

Thanks for the advice guys. I am a pretty fit guy so I will order a size down (38). I found out they have Short, Reg, Long sizes. Do you think a size down is enough or should I go with a 38 SRT? I have avarage length arms.

T-Bolt

If you have average length arms....... I would say a regular length should be just fine.....from my experience with G&B.

Ted

A

Anonymous

Jaydee said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I am a pretty fit guy so I will order a size down (38). I found out they have Short, Reg, Long sizes. Do you think a size down is enough or should I go with a 38 SRT? I have avarage length arms.
G/B has a size chart on the website. I am size 46, 6 foot tall. I order my A-2 from G/B in a size 44 long. They run big, but not long. They can send you a try on model, thats the way to go believe me. Every jacket maker has a different size pattern. Good luck.

atkins

Jay,

I'm 181.5 cm( 5',11"), 78 kg( 166 lbs ), wear size 44 in RMNZ A-2 ( fit perfectly ). Travis at GB recommend their size 40 T. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Atkins

A

Anonymous

I wear 40. I used to have a 38 G&B which was large on the body and short in the sleeves. Other than the design, they make a good quality product, i.e. the leather and stitching is excellent.

But I don't think it captures the essence of the true wwii article like the high end repros do.
The G&B is just another leather jacket....

RAYMUNDO

A Historical HH A-2 from G&B in a size 40 fits like a size 44. If I were you I would order two sizes smaller than your regular A-2 size.

Ray

Chandler

RAYMUNDO said:
A Historical HH A-2 from G&B in a size 40 fits like a size 44.

Like a 44 what? Skin tight example of what is supposed to be authentic (there are many threads around here arguing that subject one way or the other)? My 44 Historical from GB fits like a 44. It may be slightly baggy at the waistband, but not to a point that it looks like a loose modern mall jacket. And the shoulders fit great without any drooping or falling.

Chandler

rumblefish

I have a Mark 41 in 42 short. I should have gotten a 40 by the way it fits, but it's now a jacket I could fit a lot of clothing underneath. Maybe see if you can have them send you two, one in your normal size and one size down. Then ship back the one that doesn't fit well. I think you'll find the smaller one having the right fit. Good luck.

Members online

Latest posts