• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight jackets for a woman

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

I know it's spring time in the Western Hemisphere but if you're in Canada you'd be forgiven if you didn't believe it. Bizarre goings-on over here - hot one day, cold and rainy the next. Hard to know how to get dressed in the morning.

Anyway, weather aside I have a jacket-related question: In the collective opinion of the forum, do you think that a Men's size S or XS flight jacket (perhaps an A-2) would fit a woman? I asked a similar question on the Moto Forum but because they're very different styles of jacket I thought to inquire here as well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the A-2 - and certainly a bomber jacket - isn't supposed to be necessarily form-fitting, is it? If it's supposed to have a bit of play in the body then perhaps a Men's S or XS could work on a woman, yes? Would sleeve length be a potential issue?

If anyone has any thoughts or experience on this I would sincerely appreciate the help. Thanks very much, hope you all enjoy the day and that all's well. Take care.

Sincerely,

Chris

Pa12

I would say definitely. Womens auxiliary pilots wore them during the war. And being a smaller size there’s a lot available on the used market.
And I know what you mean about the weather, I’m in Ontario.

Southoftheborder

Depends on the size of the woman. There are size comparison pages and from memory a man's XS is about a woman's 34" chest.

cgreen

That's good news, thank you. Aside from the Buy/Sell on this site do you know where I can get a couple of nice examples? Not looking to spend too much up front, before I know that she likes them and can make them work. Do the smaller sizes show up with some frequency? Good luck out there today - brutal weekend of rain here in Toronto, wow.

cgreen

Depends on the size of the woman. There are size comparison pages and from memory an XS is about a woman's 34" chest.
Thank you, that's what I figured but I'm struggling a bit with the comparison charts. I've googled them but the information isn't consistent. Is there a size comparison chart that the Forum likes?

Pa12

I’m an hour north of Toronto. It’s actually sunny right now but the rains coming back. Avi leather sounds like a good option from what I’ve heard on the forum.

cgreen

Thanks, I'll check Avi leather - cloudy now in Toronto, rains on the way through Wed. Sigh. Hang in there.

Dany McDonald

For smaller sizes in used condition, Japan online auction are your best bet. Lot of size 34-36 pop. Try Yahoo Japan through the Buyee proxy, it works well.

Curious, is this for motorcycling?

Cheers.

Skyhawk

There is a thread on here about the Amelia Earhart leather jacket. I've no idea whether it's still "on the go", but it looked to me to be one of the most flattering ladies' jackets available.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...light-jacket-reproduction-the-aviatrix.19470/
I have this one available right now, ready to ship. It's an extra small size. By far the most accurate out of the reproductions of the Amelia jackets:
IMG_20230421_102018216_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230421_101908783_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230421_102030067.jpg
IMG_20230421_102609225_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230421_102319713_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230421_102206471.jpg
IMG_20230421_102121807_HDR.jpg

cgreen

For smaller sizes in used condition, Japan online auction are your best bet. Lot of size 34-36 pop. Try Yahoo Japan through the Buyee proxy, it works well.

Curious, is this for motorcycling?

Cheers.
Thanks very much, I'll check out the auctions in Japan, great idea. This isn't for riding at the moment, more for everyday kicking around town. More for the look than the function so no need for armour.

cgreen

There is a thread on here about the Amelia Earhart leather jacket. I've no idea whether it's still "on the go", but it looked to me to be one of the most flattering ladies' jackets available.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...light-jacket-reproduction-the-aviatrix.19470/
Thank you, Amelia's was a beautiful piece for sure. I'm sorry the kickstarter campaign didn't work out for that group, would have been nice to see the jackets. Thanks for directing me that way.

cgreen

I have this one available right now, ready to ship. It's an extra small size. By far the most accurate out of the reproductions of the Amelia jackets:View attachment 108523View attachment 108521View attachment 108525View attachment 108529View attachment 108531View attachment 108533View attachment 108527
Hi Skyhawk, that jacket is gorgeous. Is it a women's Small, or a men's Small? I'm actually quite interested. Let me PM you, thank you for letting me know. Speak soon.

Richard W.

I think, ideally, you should find a store where she can try one on to get an idea of sizing and fit before you order something that you may not be able to return.

Or, is this meant to be a surprise gift?

Dany McDonald

This isn't for riding at the moment, more for everyday kicking around town. More for the look than the function so no need for armour.

I see, doesn't matter then. I wasn't referring about armor inserts but the A-2 design to take in consideration if riding. Its a cool jacket for sure, very vintage cut.

Good luck with the search.

D

cgreen

I think, ideally, you should find a store where she can try one on to get an idea of sizing and fit before you order something that you may not be able to return.

Or, is this meant to be a surprise gift?
You're right, asking her to try on something similar might be a good strategy. I'm getting into jackets and she is too by extension. My thought is that if it fits me or is even on the small side - I'm a 38 - then it will likely fit her.