• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket Wear and Tear

arclight

I have seen and/or handled many original and repro A-2s and one common trait that sticks out is why don't most back panels on the jacket exhibit the same coveted graining, wrinkling, creasing and narling that the front panels, pockets and collars show. Now not every A-2 has that crocodile patterned graining on the HH, but those that do are usually void of the same characteristics on the back panels. I wonder why?

Also, the G-1 jackets made after '69 or '70 went from using goatskin to cowhide. Why don't those jackets exhibit wear characteristics normally found in "worn hard" cowhide. Most still appear to be made from goatskin judging by their lack of wear. Even the Dynel adorned ones wear like goatskin. Opinions?

watchmanjimg

I've heard the claims that some later G-1s were made of cowhide, and while it may be true I'm willing to bet that many were not. Thus, if the jackets you're seeing appear to be made from goatskin they probably are. :D

HackerF15E

watchmanjimg said:
I've heard the claims that some later G-1s were made of cowhide, and while it may be true I'm willing to bet that many were not. Thus, if the jackets you're seeing appear to be made from goatskin they probably are. :D

?

I thought it was pretty well established that some 7823E G-1s, specifically the 1976 Imperial Sportswear, were cow?

I have one, and it is made of thick leather that doesn't look/feel at all like the goat A-2s that I own.

watchmanjimg

HackerF15E said:
watchmanjimg said:

?

I thought it was pretty well established that some 7823E G-1s, specifically the 1976 Imperial Sportswear, were cow?

I have one, and it is made of thick leather that doesn't look/feel at all like the goat A-2s that I own.

That's my understanding as well, but as you point out they don't look like goat. The ones Arclight describes do look and wear like goat, hence my suggestion that those particular jackets were made of goatskin rather than cowhide.

arclight

I'll never forget telling my brother about getting my favorite(because of the fit)G-1......a 1973 Star 7823E. He asked me why did I buy a cowhide G-1. I asked him why do you assume it is cowhide and his response was "because it has a Dynel collar and it's post Vietnam."
I assured him it is goatskin.
Actually the U.S. pulled out of that toilet bowl in 1975, but I guess some folks think any and all G-1s made after 1972 or thereabouts is cowhide.

fraazierjo

I visited the Roughwear factory in Middletown, Pa. in the late 70's and talked to the owner (a member of the original family). He told me they were bearly hanging on and showed me couple of cowhide G1's they were making in hope of getting a contract from the Navy.It was a pretty sad scene conisdering their history - he didn't even have any old A2's around to sell me. Too bad!

Willy McCoy

To address the first question: The back panel on an A-2 is subjected to a lot less stress as it's primary function is to simply cover the broadness of the back and is not subjected to the constant handling/flexing the front and arm sections do. Most of the time it is pressed against a seat back or draped to the rear of the wearer. If we walked around backwards and/or had pockets and zippers in the back this explanation would be null & void.

Tim P

Also, many panels such as collars, front panels, pockets etc can be made from the parts of the hide which naturally bent and creased whilst it formed part of the animal it came from as it moved. The back is the largest panel and as such will often be cut from a part that is fairly flat. Note that near the shoulder seams on the back of many (not all) jackets there is a small area of creasing however smooth the rest of the jacket is.
The guaranteed front quarter horsehide jackets that exhibit no graining when new are wasteful by wartime production standards but every hide will have smoother and naturally more wrinkled areas.