• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flamability of older nylon Pilot jackets

jacketimp

Dr H said:
Ah Neh
Don't tempt me...I can see a practical user's workshop for wearers and collectors beckoning (DNA or spectroscopic analysis of the leather - did anyone say horse sir, goat, steer?- spectroscopic or mechanical analysis of the Nylon/Nomex, XPS for the metalwares)...where does it all end :?:

how loooooooooong is a thread......is that NOS OD cotton thread........
Couldn't do these things for free though - have to food on the table for the kids :evil:

no poncers please.......

Incidentally, just involved in some analysis on some paint flakes from the William Kent ceiling at Hampton Court (Cardinal Wolsey's/Henry VIII's/George II's gaff) - trying to use MALDI TOF SIMS (sorry it's all acronyms when you get down to it) to identify whether the binder that William Kent used to prepare the ceiling plaster and apply the pigments was based on egg, fish, or horse - by analysing proteins. Sound familiar - was that HH or steer did somebody say?

you did mention this some time back..... :ugeek: :ugeek:

Dr H

Depends on how much exposure it's had to UV, moisture and heat...

Come on now, have you read those references? ;)

jacketimp

Dr H said:

Depends on how much exposure it's had to UV, moisture and heat...

Come on now, have you read those references? ;)

i'm a sponge.......i absorb.......think osmosis......

i do not read........

Dr H

You're welcome Rich, no problem at all.

Sounds like the UV treatment is the polyamide equivalent of the hot water treatment :D .

Possibly cheaper to buy a UV lamp and age your own... :cool:

Jason

I wonder if the questions over durability in the face of prolonged exposure to heat, UV (both froms of ionising radiation- that is radiation that can bust molecular bonds) and moisture, all of which I face at work on a regular basis, means that we don't get protective clothing based on Nomex, and we use Proban instead? Its probably a cost thing too, Proban being somewhat cheaper than Nomex...

usafwso

While a bit off subject, ballistic vests made of Kevlar have a certain shelf life, used or unused. Once that time has passed the vests are no longer certified as bullet resistant.

Used to have an old U-Matic tape of a fire safety training video comparing the then new nomex flight gear and older nylon flying garments.