• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star 55J14 G-1

PaulD

After a week of wear, I’m happy to say my previous comments on my Five Star 55J14 G-1 still stand with the goatskin now starting to develop some character and pebbling. I’m still amazed at the price point I bought it at. If I had to criticize anything, I think some of the stitching could be a bit tighter but the rest of the workmanship is very good.

Five Star is in a good position to be a “gateway” to the flight jacket culture. It will appeal to newbies and enthusiasts like me looking for the 80% solution; for whom that additional 20% is not worth the squeeze but still want a jacket with a decent level of detail and fit at an attractive price point. Yes, the goatskin might not be on par with the ones from upper-tier makers but to keep it at a certain price point some compromises have to be made, and for me the trade-off is acceptable given the jacket fits so well (yay made to measure!)

For me, more choices for the consumer is a good thing and Five Star’s value proposition is producing flight jackets that capture the spirit of the originals combined with numerous customization options and excellent customer service. I’m sure there are other companies in Pakistan and elsewhere that can do the same thing Five Star does but Shawn is the only one thus far who is willing to do the work of researching, reaching out to flight jacket aficionados, constantly improving his processes, and expanding the product to pursue what is surely a small niche market.
20200922_111646.jpg20200916_073704.jpg20200922_111627.jpg

Last edited:

CBI

Actually, the goatskin looks pretty good and with lots of wear should look stellar!

Yes, an 80% solution for 17-20% of the price!

and things will only improve based on Shawns obvious plans!

Especially in the current economic/COVID climate for many people needing to watch their pennies!