Fitzwell Sportswear Co B-15

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Steve H, May 16, 2013.

1. TankBuster

TankBuster Active Member

Bummer. We should build a thread with photos of all the cloth jackets to avoid including what to look for on the labels of these civilian jackets. I'm sure there are quite a few others that have been fooled by these and don't even know it. I know we seem to discuss them on the forum at least a couple of times per year.

2. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

3. Dr H

Dr H Well-Known Member

What? Not majormajor? There are more out there... :roll:

4. joeson

joeson Member

Blames everyone else for his own lack of research..... :roll:

5. ciddu

ciddu Member

Considering the jacket has quilted lining instead of the regular "mil-specs" alpaca fur lining, it was pretty obvious there was something quite fishy about it.

6. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

Yep, I got a roasting by the guy at first, but he appologized later via PM. However, after it was all said and done, he roasted the guy he bought the grouping from on those same forums and they were going at it the last time I looked.

I learned the hard way many years ago about "original type". :(

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

Spotted on eBay, and shared on here as reference.

Attached Files:

8. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Fitzwell Sportswear was indeed a government contractor in the War. This company had a contract in 1944 for B-15 jackets and A11 trousers, contract 44-6355 AF. They had a contract for B15A jackets and A-11A trousers in 1945, contact 45-8968 AF. However they made non- contract B-15s post war, which are often mistaken for Wartime examples.

Pilot and dmar836 like this.
  9. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

These details quoted below ,you will not find on the jacket label , only the order number which Andrew has quoted will be shown .

Fitzwell Sportswear contract #'s for B15/A11 w33-038 AC 2958
    B15a/A11a W33-038 AC 8590

10. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

Fitz.jpg From what I understand, issued mil WWII cloth jacket, if not all, use brass, FAN/ Bell type pull - bigger zip pull, not rectangular - for the ease of pulling with gloves on. Rectangular Pull Talon zip of the 40's usu. sewn to civilian jackets or causal jackets like denim or half belt.
    While listing the types of zippers used by different models is exhaustive; 1 thing is Certain - I have NEVER seen an issued military cloth jacket of the WWII era that use 40's Rectangular Talon zipper pull.
    P.S. saved for M-41/ Tanker - the Army jkts [no gloves]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018