• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finished my first A-1

fishmeok

just finished it-Here's a couple of quick pics- I'm pretty happy with it. It's made out of lambskin I found at a local warehouse.
Cheers
Mark

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

I look tired, annoyed, and hot in this one- it's about 84 degrees in here. Too hot for a jacket....

IMG_2346.jpg

A

Anonymous

That is a VERY good looking jacket. Now one in horse would be really something.

You skill level has improved massively and it's been very interesting thus far to see it all developing.

Well done !!

J_H

MikeyB-17

Heck Mark, that looks bang on! You've got the hang of it now! All gone well, or anything you'd change next time? What's next?

Roughwear

Thanks for sharing the pics of your latest jacket. It does indeed look as if you have done a superb job and its a very good fit too. So what next? :)

dujardin

hellooooo,

i agree with all comments already done, congratssssssss splendid work
byeeee marcel

fishmeok

Thanks guys. I this is a good size 46, but I think for myself I could use about an inch off each side- I'm like a 45 long. This pattern will work for my LB jacket, A-1, and a "private purchase" A-2 which I think I am going to try next. It's really comfortable though, with no pulling on the arms or back when I sit in the driving position- fit just depends on personal taste. I look great in an original 44 A-2, but only if I just stand around with my arms at my sides and don't actually MOVE or anything.

There are a couple of sewing mistakes here and there, but nothing really obvious. the lamb is super soft and crumples up into a ball when you throw it on a chair, but the jacket still has more heft to it than I thought it would. As usual my biggest problem is time and supply- it's been pure hit or miss for me in regard to finding decent materials. Even the company I've been buying the LB jacket hides from has been put under "new management" in the last few weeks and won't return my e-mails.

I am still going to put a hanger in this jacket, and hand paint a label for it. The lamb has been an absolute joy to work with, sews like butter and the seams fold down flat when I want them to. I used what has become my standard M-422A style pocket because I think the tiny pockets on the original A-1's make the jacket look odd and a little out of proportion. I'll take some detail shots once I get the label done.
Cheers
Mark

johnwayne

Hey Mark
nice one - my next foray into adding to the collection is likely to be an A1 - I really like JC's but pricey compared to say ELC's!
I also happen to like LW's Olive Green version and at least the Mrs couldn't say "not another brown one - it's the same as all the others"!!!
Did that local warehouse just happen to have that colour? Interesting too how youve drifted away from authenticity,which you are perfectly entitled too of course, on the pocket choice
Neverless, it looks one fine jacket.

Cheers
Wayne

fishmeok

The stuff I find there is hit or miss, nothing I can count on. JC has the repro perfected, I kind of like to do my own thing and play around with the design. I am going to go back later this week and see if I can find some more lambskin though, I really like this stuff.

Jackets come in colors other than brown? :D
cheers
Mark

asiamiles

fishmeok said:
I used what has become my standard M-422A style pocket because I think the tiny pockets on the original A-1's make the jacket look odd and a little out of proportion.

I'm not saying you should copy originals (after all, ELC do that job) but with those pockets it really doesn't look like an A-1, and I'm not sure those pockets suit the lighter weight leather.

jack aranda

Hi, Mark:
Nice work. Really nice work. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm not a fan of lamb, but that A-1 is a reason to change my thinking.

fishmeok

Thanks again all- I wasn't too sure about the lamb either, but since the originals were sheep too I thought I would try it. I was a little worried because it is such a thin and light leather, but It turned out to be surprisingly robust.

Asiamiles- I guess I should call it an A-1 style jacket. :)
Cheers
Mark

asiamiles

fishmeok said:
Asiamiles- I guess I should call it an A-1 style jacket. :)
Sure, similar to your previous effort, which personally I preferred. I think it's good to keep trying variations out and, who knows, maybe you'll hit on a couple of original styles you could patent and put into production...hey, never say never. And you could try and do those repro's that aren't being offered by the other makers.

better duck

asiamiles said:
fishmeok said:
I used what has become my standard M-422A style pocket because I think the tiny pockets on the original A-1's make the jacket look odd and a little out of proportion.

I'm not saying you should copy originals (after all, ELC do that job) but with those pockets it really doesn't look like an A-1, and I'm not sure those pockets suit the lighter weight leather.

As far as I'm concerned you're both right; the very small pockets are the one thing that put me off an A1: the proportions don't look right, and the practical use you can make of such small pockets is also negligable. So "A1 style" it is, and it's a beatiful jacket.

greyhound52

Great job. The small pockets on A-1s make it not practical for cell phones etc. But heck they didn't have cell phones back then so why have bigger pockets. :D

Tariacuri

Having just seen this one - and having tried it on - I can attest it is an amazing jacket!!! FYI - Mark just snagged enough lamb to do a second in a slightly darker color!!

Chris

fishmeok

As per my usual M.O. the jacket is now in the classifieds. lots of detail pics in there too.
Cheers
Mark