• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding a stolen heirloom "Lucky Partners" jacket

gjennings

Hi All,
My uncle, Harry C. Jennings, piloted the B-17G "Lucky Partners" over Germany in 1945. He flew 18 missions. The nose art from his plane is preserved in the Mojave Museum of History and Art in Kingman Arizona. Pictures can bee seen here. http://www.447bg.com/43-38450.htm

lp2.jpg

Harry had a leather flight jacket with the same nose art painted on the back. Harry died from lung cancer in the 1960's, survived by his wife, Sybil, and four young children. In 1995, after a long illness, with a series of caretakers and live-in nurses, Sybil passed. When her children, now grown, with families of their own, went through the task of clearing Sybil's home, they discovered that Harry's flight jacket was missing. Along with all of the other emotions of that time, it must have been a hard blow to find that family heirloom, and relic of their dad was gone.

I didn't hear the story of the missing jacket until a few weeks ago, when I was researching B17's, and found the 447th BG Association's web site and the photos of the plane, and what I'm pretty sure is a photo of Harry leaning out of the cockpit window of "Lucky Partners". The caption says that the picture was taken after the plane's 70th mission (Harry flew missions 69-72), and his brother (my dad) identifies the man in the photo as Harry.

43-38450a.jpg

When I asked my dad about the photo, he was surprised to see a photo of his brother, and his plane, and he reminisced that "Harry had a jacket with that logo on it. He wore it quite a bit right after the war." That's when I asked one of Harry's sons, my cousin, about the jacket, and he told me that it was missing. (My cousin's daughters had a nice replica made for him a few years ago, but it's not the same as having something that your dad wore, and touched and fought in.)

It seems to me that Harry's jacket, with that art on it, is a valuable item in its own right, let alone its pricelss value to his kids, and whoever took it will sell it at some point. I want to keep an eye out for it and hope to maybe some day get it returned to Harry's family. I've been keeping an eye on e-bay, but there must be other venues where such items are sold. So, my question to you guys is, do you know of places where historic items like authentic flight jackets from WWII might show up for sale? Where would you look?

Thanks so much for any advice you might have.

Greg Jennings

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Greg. This is a sad story about your Uncle's A2. Another member here had a similar experience and eventually managed to buy back his father's A2, so there is hope. Painted A2s do appear on Ebay from time to time, but generally fetch high prices. I know some are traded privately between collectors. There are plenty of US members here who may be able to help you track the jacket down. Good luck in your quest.

TankBuster

Hello Greg,
Sorry to hear about your uncles jacket. 1 Question, are you sure it wasn't sold by your uncle or a family member?
I know sometimes times get tough, and things are sold to get by. Just a thought.?.
As far as places to look, Ebay is a good one. There is also Manions Auction House that sells militaria.
The toughest part is there are literally thousands of independent militaria dealers where this thing could turn up and be
sold. Andrew is also correct, many jacket collectors deal privately with other collectors or pickers.
I wish you the best of luck in your search. You made a good start by posting the story here. There are a few collectors
here that may run into it at some point.
Jeff

gjennings

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, we're certain it wasn't sold by a family member or by my uncle (he died long before it disappeared), and the family was confortable enough financially. Possibly one of my aunt's "care-givers" (there were quite a few of them staying at her house during her long illness) . . . but no one knows.

Greg Jennings

Stony

Unless the house was broken into, I would go with someone that had access to it. No inference intended, but the best place to usually look is close to home.

gjennings

Hi Stony.
I agree with you. Close to home would be the best place to look, except that the people who had access to the house were numerous "caretakers", nurses, "companions" ect., provided by agencies, as I understand it, and it was 10 years ago. I wish I had heard about it sooner.

At this point I'm just figuring that a person who would steal such an item is a person who has no respect for history, or for the sacrifices that the men who originated these jackets made, and that they are motivated only by money, so they're going to want to sell it at some point.

On the other hand, (though I know that unscrupulous collectors exist), the majority of collectors of war time memorabilia have a profound reverence for the people who made that history -- they would want no part of purchasing an item stolen from the family of the man who earned it. If such a collector was to come across the jacket, and knew its history, he or she might make an effort to contact the owner's family. So, I figured that I would put the history of this paticular jacket out there, in groups such as this one, in hopes that it may turn up.

I was talking to my dad yesterday about this. (He was a radio operator in the navy in the Pacific at the same time that his brother was flying over Germany). He said that right after the war, he and Harry both attended Kansas State University, and that Harry could often be picked out on campus, wearing that jacket, and that there were a number of other aviators on campus at the time who were also noticable for their distinctive jackets. I imagine that they cut dashing young figures back then. Dad's 85 years old now. Harry died young. Their generation is almost gone, and their history seems ancient to the current generation.

From what I've read on this forum, and it's been educational for me, these jackets would be quite fragile by now. I would love to see the jacket show up in a museum, and not worn or abused by some fool who has no idea of its significance.

Greg J.

Weasel_Loader

I will most certainly be on the "lookout" for such a jacket. This is a pretty large network here and I'm sure if it's out there, it can be found. Good luck and thanks for sharing the story here with us.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello I don't know if you have ever seen this site- The fedora Lounge.com but they are a great group of jacket collector/historians that I think if you publish what you're doing they would be happy to be on the lookout for it too !

Good luck and I wish you the best in finding it !
Johnny
[email protected]