• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally I've found one !

bombs away

Hello,

After more than 6 years of desperate quest, I've just been able to find a leather covered M-4 flak helmet.
I was ready to sell a kidney for it, but the price was very fair.

These helmets were produced at the end of 1943 in England by Wilkinson for the RAF crews but the USAAF airmen used them quite often.

Here is a picture of this kind of helmet used by 2 men of the 416th BG :
5800174667_77739df0e4_b_d.jpg

and here are pics taken this morning :

5800151687_552cbcba31_b_d.jpg

5800149671_59109fe3c8_b_d.jpg

5800708102_47606bd02e_z_d.jpg

Nothing common to flight jackets, but I just wanted to share my joy ! :mrgreen:

Tim

dujardin

connnnngratsssss

patience always pay ;)

nice add to your splendid collection

impatient to see it .... in my hand....soonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

rich

Would you have any pics of RAF aircrew wearing these Tim? Congratulations on your acquisition!

dmar836

Tiem,
Great find. I'm in the same boat - need one for the collection.
Is there a good story about how you found it?
Dave

unclegrumpy

If you are referring to the yellow star, the only thing I have heard is that it was so the crew, especially the ball turret gunner, could be more easily seen in their positions.

bombs away

Hello,

Thank you guys for your kind comments and your interest.

To Rich :
the only picture I know showing RF crewmen wearing this kind of helmet comes from the Mick Prodger's book "vintage flying helmets"
5813327506_86cec2e5f1_b_d.jpg

There may be more but unfortunately I'm not enough documented on the RAF aircrews.

To Dave :
No particular story behind this find, but I have bought another hard to find helmet to the owner, the M-4 cloth covered :
5813315434_9289d4a061_b_d.jpg

To Dave and Unclegrumpy :
to me the leather helmet with the yellow star is called the type H-28-CL. It has only been an experimental helmet and hasn't left the USA.
Mick Prodgers says in his excellent book "This helmet was an experimental derivative of the M-4 series of anti-flak helmets ordered in limited numbers by the AAF in 1944 for testing and evaluation. The war ended before trials were completed and project H-28-CL was cancelled".

Tim.

dmar836

So you sold the cloth covered M4 to him or bought that from him too? Amazing items I'm unlikely to ever obtain!

Any pics of the cloth covered M4 being worn? Don't see those too often.

Great stuff!!

Dave

bombs away

Hello,

Yes Dave I've had the opportunity to buy both helmet at the same time.

Here is a wartime picture of the M-4 cloth covered helmet, worn by troop carrier pilots (right part of the pic) before D-DAY :

5075514253_b4a6496a0e_b_d.jpg

On this other pic, you'll find one of these helmets standing on the floor on the left of the picture :
5076077130_a5612605d6_b_d.jpg

In my opinion the most difficult flak helmet to find is the modified standard M-1 army helmet. There is one of these, fully decorated in Gear up ! :
5075469193_83861f91bc_b_d.jpg

Tim.

dmar836

Great gear shots! Interesting the headset being worn under the helmet and I also see that C-2 sweater in the second pic.

Yeah, I agree about the modified M-1. I thought about making one but that would do little for my collection and I fear it would end up being sold as original down the line.

Dave

Rocky

Great find Tim. Those leather covered flak helmet are very difficult to find.
Talking about the yellow star ones. I've seen one with a red star. Only one I've ever seen being a different color other than yellow.
Another time I located two helmets with the yellow star in excellent condition being sold as one lot on an auction. I was going to own them but I had and internet glitch and didn't even get a chance to bid. By the time my PC refreshed the lot was sold. Couldn't believe it, of all times to have a time out.

rich

bombs away said:
To Rich :
the only picture I know showing RF crewmen wearing this kind of helmet comes from the Mick Prodger's book "vintage flying helmets"
There may be more but unfortunately I'm not enough documented on the RAF aircrews.
Tim.

Tim, it's one more picture than I've ever seen, thanks for digging it out and posting. (Next thing I need to find is an RAF crewman wearing a black Irvin - annoying thing is I know I've seen this, but cannot remember where....)