• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally - At The Front Luftwaffe Kanal Jackets

CBI

Luftwaffe Kanal Jacket

Pretty cool, yes, I took the plunge - its something different and I like the color/details.

I'm glad I held off on some other things.

Do I need this jacket? NO

Lets see how it goes.

I am right in between their medium and large sizes. The large I know will be too big so I am giving a medium a try.

kirova

would've bought one in a heartbeat except I have cats, looks like ATF understands as well

"Hair Magnet: If you have pets, be prepared for furmageddon. The dark blue cotton is a magnificent magnet for hair of all kinds and carrying a lint roller in the pocket would be a good idea."

Enigma1938

"Hair Magnet: If you have pets, be prepared for furmageddon. The dark blue cotton is a magnificent magnet for hair of all kinds and carrying a lint roller in the pocket would be a good idea."

Had the nearly same jacket from noble house. Super warm (they used real shearling) but it was the same problem like the ATF version. You was constantly busy to remove dust, hairs and fluff when wearing it - extremely annoying!!

Pilot

:) :) :) the real thing since no electrostatics involed ( read poly-materials) does not have this and other issues…:):):)

BTW the same “hairy questions” and electrostatic issues were already discussed in other posts with ELC “ super Alpaga cotton Poly” liners…
Again… “You only get what you pay for”… everything and everywhere….

Nevertheless the ATF Winterjacke ( no way it was ever called “ Kanaljacke “) is a very nicely made jacket..even if a lot of Poly and plastic fantastic is involved.
Respect!

9846F035-950F-4EAB-A051-2145368C5E57.jpeg

Last edited:

SteveN

A shame they didn't use real fur. I'd pay more for it to be 'authentic'. Mind you I haven't seen the faux stuff they use. Maybe it is nice.

CBI

Yep, I appreciate Rolin being up front about the hair magnet issues. I have passed on a few other of his jackets for the same reason and for that matter, wearing any sort wool coat/ peacoat is out of the question for me. Its actually my own hair that's an issue! In any case, thought I would go e this a try. I ordered a medium which might not fit but I know the large will be too oversized so I might end up with nothing in the end. I don't see anyone making a 1000000% authentic Kanal any time soon but this seems to look great in the photos so we will see.

ausreenactor

Luftwaffe Kanal Jacket

Pretty cool, yes, I took the plunge - its something different and I like the color/details.

I'm glad I held off on some other things.

Do I need this jacket? NO

Lets see how it goes.

I am right in between their medium and large sizes. The large I know will be too big so I am giving a medium a try.
Not the jacket I was expecting... I have a lighter weight Luftwaffe cloth jacket... might have put a pic up years ago.

These will be popular!

CBI

Just received an ATF Blog/Update - these jackets sold out in 18 hours. About 1/3 of their entire Kanal order was shipped via air so they could have some in stock........these are gone. Will be months before the remainder arrives via surface. No ETA at this time.

Smithy

Just received an ATF Blog/Update - these jackets sold out in 18 hours. About 1/3 of their entire Kanal order was shipped via air so they could have some in stock........these are gone. Will be months before the remainder arrives via surface. No ETA at this time.

Yup just had a look, all gone.

CBI

as promised:

I LIKE this one. Very happy with the fit. I went down a size. I am a 42 regular, this is the (37-40) Medium.

Pros - lots of details, great features, lots of snaps. Warm but not heavy. Hardware lightweight but solid. Love the color.

Cons - collar very thin and smaller than the "typical" BIG Kanal collar - TBH - for contemporary wear, I actually like/prefer this smaller collar. A little artificial looking but it's growing on me. Actually, the collar looks like an old furry collar that has lost a lot of fur. According to ATF, the main zipper should be white plastic like the original they copied. The zip on this jacket seems very "modern" but what do I know. As you can see, the stitch work is OK, not top drawer but hey, for a wartime jacket, I don't mind.

This is about as good as its going to get as I don't see anyone else planning on making these. Noble House makes a similar product w/o the fur collar. There are a few other makers.

I am completely happy with this despite my few cons. I think for the price, its a cool jacket. I do think that in this price range, Bronson might have done a little better job but again, me likey............

I would say for level-headed folks who like this style, give it a try (restock is maybe this summer).

For the super OCD VLJ crowd, this might not be authentic enough. ATF states that using more authentic collar and interior wool would have brought up the price considerably. I would have been fine paying $100 more (current retail is $249.00) for that but would not go higher so, very nice at the current price point.

As I always say, if this jacket gets worn a lot, its going to look really good. I like that its a very different look. On my left chest is a large pocket. Its open, no zipper. Great for my phone accept I don't think I want that next to my heart!

Considering the popularity of B-3's and Irvins, I am really surprised the premium makers have not attempted the full blown leather version. I know proper hardware is tough to procure. This might be a job for 5 Star as they have the hides and seem pretty industrious.

IMG_1022.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg

Last edited: