• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantasy of Flight FL

art of a2

Just got back from FL and got the oppurtunity to go to FoF with Kermit weeks at the helm. Thought I'd share some pics with you guys. I came across an A-2 in a show case. Not sure what make it was but noticed it had what looked like a comar zipper. Any one care to venture a guess? anyway..enjoy..

IMG_0584_zpsdd09f370.jpg

IMG_0463_zps2d3c15ca.jpg

IMG_0445_zps54fe99f1.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsd1f32ebc.jpg

IMG_0444_zps0341e35f.jpg

IMG_0443_zpsca6b61a6.jpg

IMG_0479_zps9f7e807d.jpg

IMG_0476_zps7fa69b26.jpg

IMG_0473_zps5bc06351.jpg

IMG_0471_zps5a81ad9d.jpg

IMG_0469_zps5e1d1fb0.jpg

IMG_0468_zpsbd5711ab.jpg

IMG_0467_zpsdbb62e83.jpg

IMG_0461_zps8571ebbe.jpg

IMG_0459_zps07c02b0b.jpg

IMG_0454_zpsa4598e07.jpg

IMG_0452_zpsa1677feb.jpg

IMG_0451_zps24e9c8b4.jpg

IMG_0449_zps8cc4a9b6.jpg

IMG_0472_zps577470ec.jpg

IMG_0475_zps37e4d207.jpg

IMG_0470_zpsfaf1c9b7.jpg

IMG_0465_zps98afa499.jpg

IMG_0455_zpsc2569da5.jpg

Peter Graham

Fantastic selection of aircraft. Particularly like the bi-planes and the tri-motor. Looks like a great place. Are all the planes airworthy ?

Dr H

Fine set of images.
Hope FL was cooler than Indianapolis is currently (36C/97F; forecast 37C/99F for Tuesday and 38/100F for Wednesday ) - don't think that I've experienced temperatures this warm outside my skin.
Wore my GW Doniger on the outward trip, but can't see it getting much wear until the return trip.
I finally understand the meaning of a jacket season...

art of a2

Peter Graham said:
Fantastic selection of aircraft. Particularly like the bi-planes and the tri-motor. Looks like a great place. Are all the planes airworthy ?

Yes this was particularly interesting to me as well. I asked to have a further look inside as I could see that it was all wooden construction and curtains inside. It had a typical Art deco feel to it. I wish I had my camera at that point. Apparantley the guy who showed me over said that Kermit takes it up occassionaly and uses it for his family. Evidently he had just taken it up the morning I arrived. I would have liked to hear that thing start up. The Museum is just off the i4 interstate, you can't miss it and is a bit like Duxford in as much as it is a 'living musuem'. You'd be looking at planes in the hanger and all of a sudden one of these things would fly by out side! as most of the aircraft are still flying. Kermit has big plans for the museum. It was a brilliant day. Check Kermit weeks starting up a P51C on you tube. I did before I went to the Museum..

Silver Surfer

classy, real classy. each and every pic is top of the line. gotta love that albatross paint job, no camo here. man, whats with those two guys wearing b-3s in the florida summer-fall? must be real dummies, since its t-shirt weather. red knits, and squared pocket bottoms? mid aero contract. thanx for the posting

MikeyB-17

I loved it when I was there in 2006, although it was blisteringly hot and you couldn't be outside for long. The day I was there they had the 'Mustangs and Legends' air day (Ford Mustangs on the ground, P-51s in the air). I did a 1-hour acrobatic flight in a T-6 Texan (Harvard) from Kissimmee that morning, and we flew over to Fantasy of Flight and did a low pass down the runway! Probably the only time I'll ever fly in an air show.
They have some incredible stuff there, like the B-26, apparently the only airworthy one in the World, although I don't think it flies much. Apparently they have all sorts of stuff in storage, including a complete Lancaster in boxes! They'd just bought about 50 Allison engines, all boxed-there was one on display, showing the dated shipping paperwork.
Those B-3s were a bit feeble though-mall jacket jobs! I see they're still there. It is an incredible museum, I'd love to go again.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I've been there several times and each time it was worth the trip, one year was a B-26 Marauder reunion and the B-26 was outside, another recent trip was a P-51 fly in and the B model Tuskegee was there along with the B in the photos posted and Kermit flew both , also the Albatross flew with Kermit again , that was awesome to see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the chance to see the B-26 fly quite a few years ago at MacDill AFB , Kermit brought in down there , it hasn't flown as of late as he told me the engine/s need some TLC and he's working with other projects presently , T Liaison bird in the photos wasn't out when I was there last it had some final "tweaking" , I assume it flew when you were there ???????

Marcel , if you make it over the pond I'd be happy to go with you to FOF , I'm sure you would enjoy seeing the museum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
BTW, the "Connie" there in your photo was actually flown into the museum By Kermit and some other "helpers" there's a small video display you can watch about it, when they came in over the interstate highway it freaked out some of the locals as they thought it was some crazy terrorist trying something !

art of a2

Dr H said:
Fine set of images.
Hope FL was cooler than Indianapolis is currently (36C/97F; forecast 37C/99F for Tuesday and 38/100F for Wednesday ) - don't think that I've experienced temperatures this warm outside my skin.
Wore my GW Doniger on the outward trip, but can't see it getting much wear until the return trip.
I finally understand the meaning of a jacket season...

I took these with a rather old canon ixus800 IS digital..Just snapping..

art of a2

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
I've been there several times and each time it was worth the trip, one year was a B-26 Marauder reunion and the B-26 was outside, another recent trip was a P-51 fly in and the B model Tuskegee was there along with the B in the photos posted and Kermit flew both , also the Albatross flew with Kermit again , that was awesome to see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the chance to see the B-26 fly quite a few years ago at MacDill AFB , Kermit brought in down there , it hasn't flown as of late as he told me the engine/s need some TLC and he's working with other projects presently , T Liaison bird in the photos wasn't out when I was there last it had some final "tweaking" , I assume it flew when you were there ???????

Marcel , if you make it over the pond I'd be happy to go with you to FOF , I'm sure you would enjoy seeing the museum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
BTW, the "Connie" there in your photo was actually flown into the museum By Kermit and some other "helpers" there's a small video display you can watch about it, when they came in over the interstate highway it freaked out some of the locals as they thought it was some crazy terrorist trying something !

I can vouch for it being a great day out. Perhap you guys could do a 'Regional meet'? and take some photos..

YoungMedic

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Id be down for a regional meet, make sure you come in jan/feb so we can sport some jackets :)