• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extremely rare mint Pre WWII 37S3 USN flight suit

bazelot

I just acquired this mint Pre WWII 37S3 USN flight suit. Those things are really really hard to find in any condition, this one is mint and a huge size to boot (46L). It looks like it fits bigger than 46 (especially for the length).
I just received it so I just have pictures from the seller. I will post better pictures later today or tomorrow.
Anybody has pictures of pilots wearing the 37S3 suit?

Dr H

Never knew it existed - looks terrific in Bedford cord.
If you ever tire of it, you can crop it at the waist and...voila...a 37J1....
:cool:
:lol:

oose

Hi,
Looks great always liked these, I love the pocket design on these. Here are a few shot of one that was sold about five years ago.
I'm sure I've got some shots of them being worn, I'll see if I can dig them out. Note variations in leg pockets and the stencil, I wonder how many contacts there were for this suit.

All the best
Stu

Roughwear

Very nice indeed Tom. It is amazing that this 37S3 suite has survived in this remarkable condition since the mid 1930s. Stu your Switlik made version is from their 1936 contract.

zoomer

Are these unlined or self-lined (ie another layer of Bedford)?

Switlik didn't seem to bother with dye lots. Half the suit is a little tanner, half a little greener.
Or could identical goods age differently on the same garment? Different water repellent treatments perhaps?

Dr H

That's the most fiendish pocket configuration that I've seen to date to prevent airmen slouching with their hands in pockets :eek:

zoomer

It would also be a highly effective breadbasket detector. Any visible convexity in the stitched-in zone, shape up, mister!

Dr H

Hi Tom

I'm curious to compare the sleeve taper of this 37S3 with that of the BR 37J1. I'm not which contract was used for the Buzz, nor even if they had an original in hand, the pattern clearly shares some lineage with this suit.

Could you post the dimensions at the armhole, elbow and cuff please?

The treatment of the cuff knit is quite unusual too (sewn over the sleeve?).

Thanks

Ian

bazelot

Ian, yes the cuffs are stitched on the outside instead of the inside. It is done on other suits of the same type from different manufacturers. The sleeve does taper a lot. I will take measurements when I get home.

ausreenactor

Very impressive! Have never even seen on in a reference book. Sure to appreciate in coming years. I see the contour of the pockets in the deck zip jackets(reversed obviously). Must have been a Navy thing. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Couchy

Peter Graham

Fantastic suit Tom. The zippers are beautiful. You're going to have to think of an excuse to wear it now. Painting perhaps. :eek:

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
Fantastic suit Tom. The zippers are beautiful. You're going to have to think of an excuse to wear it now. Painting perhaps. :eek:

Why did i not think about it, but of course. THanks for the tip Peter, I now have a reason to wear it :)

Ian, I did not forget about you, I will try and get the measurements tonight.
Tom

bazelot

unclegrumpy said:
Not to pee on your campfire, but did you know that suit has a matching flight helmet that goes with it too? :D
I actually have 2 of those helmets. The material is exactly the same as the material used for this flight suit.