• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experts Opinion

jschare

I'm relatively new to the A-2 game so I'd like the experts opinion on a couple of GW jackets I have my eye on. I received my Acme 18775-P last month and am looking at either the Rough Wear 1401-P or the Dubow 27798. I'd like to solicit opinions on which one you like or dislike and why? Thanks in advance...

watchmanjimg

I'm not sure I'd qualify as an "expert" but I'd say you've picked two very popular designs. I strongly prefer the Dubow for its collar shape and athletic fit, and would avoid the 1401-P specifically because of its ungainly-looking (in my opinion) stand collar. I'm sure that others will say just the opposite, but you really can't go wrong either way.

SuinBruin

I'm with Jim, I don't like collar stands. I almost got a 27798 but opted for another Bronco at the last second. IMO the Dubow is one of the iconic A-2 looks, I don't think you can go wrong with that contract. The Rough Wears are very popular too, though, and at least in name are only beaten out (IMO) by the aforementioned Bronco.

Willy McCoy

Collar stand is good.

220px-A-2_Jacket.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
greyhound52 said:
Rough wear--never able to get a Dubow to fit right.

And for me, it's just the opposite, pulling, and tugging at a Rough Wear, but it won't get comfortable, or sit right ... perfect fit with a Dubow.

That's your real problem ... if you like both, it doesn't really matter which one you end up with, but of course, you want a good fit. And you can't try them on, so you pick any one, order it, and hope that it fits you well. If it doesn't, you offer it to us, or sell it on eBay, and order the other contract.

PADDY_M

RoughWear. I've pics of my GW-RW in my Lounge page.
On mobile here, but put..
PADDY WAGON COCKTAIL LOUNGE

into Google, choose, and scroll down.

Roughwear

They are both iconic A2s. You shouldn't go wrong with either. The Dubow is trimmer fitting style so it depends on your body shape.
BTW. I think you should consider one of John's goatskin Donigers as they are extremely sharp, stylish designs. In may avatar I'm wearing an original Doniger.

atkins

PADDY_M said:
RoughWear. I've pics of my GW-RW in my Lounge page.
On mobile here, but put..
PADDY WAGON COCKTAIL LOUNGE

into Google, choose, and scroll down.

Thanks for the wonderful pics Paddy!

handworn

Me either; I tried a 20960 and I just couldn't move my arms at all; that back is darn narrow.

greyhound52 said:
Rough wear--never able to get a Dubow to fit right. However, my fav is the Doniger---great fitting jacket

Robman

I like the Dubow. I have a thicker upper torso particularly across the back from years of weight lifting which most often requires me to go up a size. The result is that the shoulders don't square up. The Dubow although high cut in the armpit has somewhat of a wider armhole opening and wider sleeves which makes up the difference. The result on me is a nice fit.

watchmanjimg

Robman said:
I like the Dubow. I have a thicker upper torso particularly across the back from years of weight lifting which most often requires me to go up a size. The result is that the shoulders don't square up. The Dubow although high cut in the armpit has somewhat of a wider armhole opening and wider sleeves which makes up the difference. The result on me is a nice fit.

This has been my experience as well. Many repro A-2s I've owned had sloping shoulders or were too narrow across the upper back. The square shoulders and wide sleeve openings of the 27998 make it an excellent choice for those with athletic builds. JC's Bronco and Star patterns work well also.

Robman

Glad to see I'm not alone. People get hung up on the shoulder to shoulder measurement but it means nothing to me, if the sleeves are too narrow I can't wear it...the Dubow is different.

The same thing occurs with me in suits. In some manufacturers I wear a size samller than most brands (Aboud) and it fits comfortably even though it is more narrow across the back and shoulders...the explanation from the sales guy is they have a fuller sleeve which translates to a wider armhole.

better duck

I own both jackets you mention, both by our esteemed John Goodwear Chapman. Two pictures say more than a thousand words, so here, for comparison:

The GW Dubow:
GWDubowHHfront.jpg

The GW Roughwear 27752:
IMG_6195A.jpg

And: The collars of these jackets differ a lot from each other: I've come to like both styles. The Dubow being the more elegant, the Roughwear more honoring its brandname ;)