• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excell Garment MA-1

Stony

I saw an ad in the classifieds of my local newspaper that had a WWII flight jacket for sale. I called the guy up at 8am on Sunday morning (he wasn't pissed, phew) and it was still available. I asked him if it was leather or cloth and he said cloth. He couldn't really read the label, so not a whole lot of information there. Well, when I get there, he has this Excell Garment MA-1 in a size medium, so nylon. Nice jacket with a little soiling and the knits have minor mothing. Green lining and no AF emblem on the left arm, which I understand is the norm for this period. I wear a size 42 and this fits me to a tee, so I think with a lot of cold weather jackets, they give you room to wear warm shirts or flight suits underneath.

I call my local flight jacket guru (J.C.) and he tells me that this is a rare contract (1960) and that Excell didn't make many of them. Since I now have a brand new digital camera that my wife bought me for my birthday, pics will be forthcoming.

watchmanjimg

I had a very nice example of this contract in Medium and it is indeed fairly rare. In fact, the Excel and John Ownbey contracts are the only '60-dated MA-1s I've seen. I have yet to see an Excel in Large, which is the size I'm looking for. Good score!

Willy McCoy

FJ1.jpg

FJ4.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MA-1-VIET-NAM-F ... 2eb868c822