• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Embossed Leather Gunner Wings

a2jacketpatches

I started making these about ten years ago as my own idea never seeing one as an original example or as a reproduction, shortly after, I saw a couple show up on Ebay as originals. They were definitely out of my shop as I recognized and compared with high resolution photos, certain natural marks were a perfect match. By the time they made it to Ebay they grew names and I remember the order vividly, to have room for a name but was asked to leave it blank. Not sure when Eastman came out with their line but it was years after mine. Anyway, I don't think you'll ever see an original example exactly like mine or Eastman, however, there are some examples of stamped wings with a raised rectangle surrounding the wings, I believe Italian made.

I developed my wings just because they look cool, especially with a light contrast stitch, but would never call them historically accurate. More so a definite possibility. I also do multi-piece leather patches for the ETO just because I've seen a handful, even though not typical, I do it anyway because I like the look.

Here's one of my wing / name tag badges -
Newnametags004.jpg

A

Anonymous

528-1.jpg
These look like embossed gunners wings that have been painted. The picture is clearer in my book SILVER WINGS AND LEATHER JACKETS, This book shows more unusual items.

a2jacketpatches

Cool! Now I can call my wings historically accurate. I have never seen an actual period example. I'll be updating my listings right away. Thanks chatchit.

Vcruiser

There are a couple other unpainted leather wing examples in the book 'American flight Jackets,Airman and Aircraft'.

Van

a2jacketpatches

Vcruiser said:
There are a couple other unpainted leather wing examples in the book 'American flight Jackets,Airman and Aircraft'.

Van

They have the embossed rectangle?

Also, who made the wings you got from Ebay? They look like mine. Id say my first set was made in 2000, right about when my second daughter was born.

Vcruiser

a2jacketpatches said:
Vcruiser said:

Van

They have the embossed rectangle?

Also, who made the wings you got from Ebay? They look like mine. Id say my first set was made in 2000, right about when my second daughter was born.

Well..they are embossed with Gunner wings...but just sewn around the outside onto the jacket as in the book..if I remember correctly.
I can't remember the sellers name on eBay. After I bought these..he started selling the same thing but made out of original A2 leather from a dilapidated flight jacket.

Van

a2jacketpatches

Just found a Navigator and a Pilot embossed wing in American Flight Jackets. So it looks like any pattern of any wing could be historically accurate. I just remember a guy telling me these weren't made during the WW2 years ago when I started doing them.

There were two sets of gunner wings on Ebay about two years back with Tandy 1/4 inch letters stamped onto my wings, I know this for sure because I've got high resolution photos of everything going back to 1997, over 6000 photos. The two wing badges were in an easy to find file so I could compare with the ones on Ebay.

crazyace

Hi, thanks for your responses.I`m still on the fence about getting one for my eastman A-2 .I already have the leather name tag with my grandfathers name on the jacket.He was a ball turret gunner with the 8th AF.

Vcruiser

crazyace said:
Hi, thanks for your responses.I`m still on the fence about getting one for my eastman A-2 .I already have the leather name tag with my grandfathers name on the jacket.He was a ball turret gunner with the 8th AF.

Well..If you like the look of it..it would certainly be appropriate.
Van