• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elc werber a2

nogbat

anyone own one of these or had any dealings with one , just interested in a werber .. have got other a2s from elc but this one looks good....

CBI

I don't mean to go there but the Good Wear Werber is my FAVORITE A-2 - well worth the extra $

havocpaul

I had one of the first batch a few years' ago and was very impressed with all aspects except it must be stressed they are VERY slim fitting so a size bigger is a wise move. Also the complicated 'Hookless' zipper was stiff to begin with but did loosen up. At this year's Duxford show Gary had one on display in the 'time-worn/warhorse' finish and it really looked the business. Of course others will direct you to GW so the choice is out there.

Roughwear

Like Paul, I bought an early one from Gary, but in a size 40 and sold it about a year later. I now have a size 42 which is a perfect fit for me. Its a splendid jacket which is just a little different from most other A2s! BTW Good Wear does not make the 1933 Werber, but they do make a 1939 Werber, which is awesome and I have one one order from John.

CBI

1402-P 1941. Great trim fit, very "smart" looking. My first GW Werber with the old HH was on the small side but looked terrific. Thinking I would never sell it, I put a few patches on it and then ................ John's new HH shows up! So, I sell off all my "old" stock for the new horse. I am wearing the new Werber right now - love it. It has been impossible to get someone to take pics with me wearing it :evil:

Its the very last jacket "Werber 07 46" on the GW site "photos of new jacket productions" list. The jacket shown in the photos is the one I own except there is an added namestrip and AAC shoulder decal - very cool additions by the way. If I absolutely had to pick just one contract, it might be the Werber (by 000000.1 %) of course, so many great contracts. Love Aero and RW and Perry (the Perry is a great fit with nice details). I am an average build and the Perry and Werber are very flattering cuts on me. Really, with these new hides any contract is going to be first class. Excuse my excessive enthusiasm but today is the first day I have been able to wear an A-2 most of the day since March :D and I am super impressed with GW. No question after YEARS of trying to find THE repro, these are it. Not even remotely tempted by any other maker (not that there are not some nice other jackets out there) Ok, enough - sorry :oops:

havocpaul

As the original question was about ELC (!) I'll just reiterate what I already said, and agree with Andrew, ELC make the only early Werber contract and it is one of their very finest A-2's..great hide and excellent detail, it is very different to other A-2 contracts.

better duck

havocpaul said:
As the original question was about ELC (!) I'll just reiterate what I already said, and agree with Andrew, ELC make the only early Werber contract and it is one of their very finest A-2's..great hide and excellent detail, it is very different to other A-2 contracts.

I agree: I have one in size 46 (production number 100) and it is a beautiful jacket, that has aged in a great way. Nice details, that make it stand out among the many A2s that are on offer. Here are some pictures:

Side by side, on the left just out of the box, on the right, after about one year:
IMG_2460A.jpg
IMG_2295A.jpg

A close up of the left sleeve, with great wethering effect (through normal wear and tear, no artificial aging here):
IMG_3053.jpg

The mismatching sleeves: the left one grainy, the right one smooth:

IMG_3059.jpg

havocpaul

There's nothing like seeing a jacket actually being worn to see its true character, excellent photos, Peter. I only sold mine because the sizing was an issue, if funds were available I would certainly get another.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:

What exactly are the differences from all other contracts, including the later Werber? So it's the later Werber that RM and BR do?

havocpaul

Eastman describe the major differences on their site:
'Early Hookless zipper.
Hand sewn in collar hook -
Caramel colour knit, which was unique to only the first two Werber contract A-2s.
Riveted zip at bottom.
Top stitched thumb seam on sleeve, as well as bottom hem and cuff - found only on very early contracts.
Leather strip interfacing to left lining panel where it joins to the zip - another feature found only on very early contracts.
Epaulette construction has only one row of stitching to outside edge - unique feature to only this contract.
Unusually, the press studs to collar are the same as those used on the pocket....'
These were all exclusive to this 1933 contract for the A-2. The GW is the later contract and then other repros are the wartime contracts which lack these early features.

nogbat

thanks better duck , ime convinced .. theres a case of beer on its way to you as we speak,,, cheers..

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
So it's the later Werber that RM and BR do?

RM made the 1933 Werber as part of their 2008/9 The Few collection. Light russet HH with a Hookless #7 pinlock.

Andrew

better duck said:
I agree: I have one in size 46 (production number 100) and it is a beautiful jacket, that has aged in a great way. Nice details, that make it stand out among the many A2s that are on offer.

The mismatching sleeves: the left one grainy, the right one smooth:

IMG_3059.jpg

Whar a great looking jacket Peter, has it been 2 years since you bought it? Amazing amount of wear you have on it. When you get a chance could you please post the dimensions and your height and weight. I suspect we're about the same and i'd like to compare.

better duck

Weasel_Loader said:
Love that Weber you have Peter. It's aged mighty well! How do you like the hookless zipper?

As a matter of fact I like it a lot. It is a very sturdy zipp, and for a change no worry about wear and tear at the bottom of the zip: where on any other zipper there is cloth, that can and will wear away because of the many times that you slide the zipper intothe zipperbox, the Hookless has a sturdy piece of metal. It hooks up and slides out of the box easily. So happy with it on the practical side, a little (indeed a little) peeved by the fact that ELC appears to have taken artistic licence here, combining this Werber contract with this zipper.

better duck

Andrew said:
Whar a great looking jacket Peter, has it been 2 years since you bought it? Amazing amount of wear you have on it. When you get a chance could you please post the dimensions and your height and weight. I suspect we're about the same and i'd like to compare.

Hi Andrew,Yes, amazing isn't it? Among my jackets it is easily the one that has aged most gracefully!
Your request about dimensions of the jacket I could easily fullfill, as I could cut/paste from an old e-mail to John, from the time we were corresponding to get the dimensions of my GW Dubow in goat right.

"I took measurements of the ELC Werber (size 46) along the lines described on the GW site. Between brackets I put the measurements of my size 46 ELC RW 1401, where they are different from the Werber's. Although the differences are minimal, they are the diference between a body hugging jacket and a roomy one. Under my ELC RW I can wear a thick sweater, no such chance with the Werber. Here are the measurements:
Front width between armpits: ELC Werber: 62 cm (ELC RW 1401: 63)
Front Height along zipper: ELC Werber: 61 cm
Back width between armpit seams: ELC Werber: 62 cm (ELC RW 1401: 63)
Back Height from collar seam to end of waistband: ELC Werber: 65 cm
Shoulder span between outer tips: ELC Werber: 52 cm
Epaulet lenght along the back edge: ELC Werber: 20 cm
Sleeve length from epaulet to end of cuff: 61 cm (ELC RW 1401: 62)"

To answer the other part of your question: I'm 6'2" (and shrinking - 52 you know) and about 100 kg (and expanding :) (but fighting the good fight! :cool:

Andrew

Thanks for that Peter, we are pretty much the same, hgt 6'2, this time last year I was 104, got back to 93 six months later and have lost a bit of ground since but i'm headed down again. For me the key is sleeve length and ELC's are always too short for me in that department and I need about 26+ to work. Yours look perfect though at 24" (61cm). I must have monkey arms.