• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Werber 44

Rutger

After having tried and rejected an ELC Werber 42 (too tight), ELC Roughwear 44 (too bulky) I got this one about a month and a half ago through ELC agent Tattersall over here in Enschede, Holland.
I bought it for layered wearing, but due to summer not really being a summer for the better part of the last two months, I've been wearing it quite often, albeit with only a t-shirt on most of the time.

Although a bit too long in the sleeves and the body (well, according to my own taste that is), it allows me to actually make movements with arms and body to reach the radio knob in my car, which was not the case with the ELC time worn Werber 42.
I also figured when fitting it, I could relatively easy find someone to have the sleeves shortened, if I still considered that a necessity after moderate wear. As it immediately felt good (apart from being new, with its stiffness), I decided to buy it on the spot.
I also tried on another Roughwear, which was marked 46, and surprisingly felt better than the 44 Roughwear tried a month earlier.
There certainly is some inconsistency in sizing.

It feels definitely less bulky then the Roughwear that I tried a couple of months ago.
It also has considerably less shoulder droop than the Roughwear.
The arms are more tapered, right up to the shoulders.

I did several luke warm water treatments on it to see if I could shorten the sleeves (and the body).
I would spray-mist warm water on it for about five minutes front, back, arms, until the outer skin would be sort of soaked (not quite deep though), then put it in a large pillow cover and put it into the dryer, set at refreshening, low temp, for about half an hour or so. I did include a couple of short cycles at elevated temperatures. The leather would be dry then by like 70-80%. Hanging it in the closet, the remaining humidity would sort of migrate to the outer surface, and it could be felt that there still was enough water in it to experiment with slightly longer drying periods (in the future). Having also wettened the inside of the pockets to include those parts of the jacket in the proces, this quite expectedly turned out to have only dried partially, in no way to the extend of the rest of the jacket.

The main results: some minor shortening partly due to wrinkles in the elbow pit, the leather became more supple, and the grain came out just a bit more, and very pleasing: the collar would get more supple and tension in the leather would curl it towards the way they're usually curled after use. They don't stick into my neck, chin and jaw anymore.

It does look indeed just a bit more used after the treatment, but that was not the object, and it is very mild.
I have to admit that none of my fears turned into reality; no wrecked leather, no ridiculously shrinkage, no weakened cuffs, waist, liner.
I do consider applying some leather conditioner, I feel the humidity and warmth will have had some effect on the surface.

Some pics down here, a few zipped (which I hardly ever do), the rest unzipped.

Feel free to comment (just don't mention the overweight issue ;) ).

44werber15.jpg

44werber9.jpg

44werber6.jpg

44werber7.jpg

44werber10.jpg

44werber13.jpg

CBI

looks good. what an ordeal to get the right fit! Not uncommon though for an A-2.............

Persimmon

The Werber works very well for you.

I think the first picture with the jacket zipped up shows the fit on you at its best.
It looks both casual and yet smart.

Put a shirt and tie on underneath and you could wear the Werber to any business meeting.
Put a T shirt on and you look ready to just jump on to your motorbike.

The sleeves and the the jacket length look ideal.

Unfortunately we are not the 19-20 year old boys these jackets were designed to fit and "good living" has given some of
usa few extra pounds/kilo's of weight around the middle that ideally we need to shed.

I know my daughter keeps going on at me to exercise more !!

Enjoy the jacket

Marv

Looks great, I was never a big fan of the Werber contract/colour but I am starting to like it more and more every time I see one.

Maybe my next A2 in the near future now that I have done the Roughwear thing and got it out of my system also not owned a russet A2 as of yet.

shiloh

Hoi Rutger,

Ziet er perfect uit. Niks meer aan doen. Na een poosje zoeken toch de goede A-2 gevonden. Nu gewoon zo vaak mogelijk dragen onder alle omstandigheden.

Groet,

Shiloh (uut Oosterbeek bij Arnhem).

Translation,

Looks perfect. Don't mess with it anymore. After a good look around for a while, you found the right A-2. Just wear it as often as you can, under any circumstances.

regards,

shiloh

johnwayne

"also not owned a russet A2 as of yet"!

Hey Marv - funny that, I've never owned a Seal A2 yet!! All mine are russet which I think I do prefer but some of the seal one's that pop up here or on ebay do look nice. I do keep my eyes peeled for nice Goodwear - JC won me over with my Doniger but my only worry (minor) is the fit when buying s/hand. I gather John has a nice dark seal leather but I cant really justify the funds at present nor put up with the wait - having said that I'm not that dessperate for one either but it would be a nice addition!!!

Cheers
Wayne